Speakers making a buzzing noise

K

kidkyler

I recently bought a pair of KRK RP5's and they make a buzzing sound whenever I plug my laptop in to the wall outlet. I connected the speakers to my audio interface and my laptop is connected to the interface via usb, I know it's only the laptop charger because whenever I unplug the laptop from the charger the buzzing stops. does anybody know how to fix this!?
Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

I recently bought a pair of KRK RP5's and they make a buzzing sound whenever I plug my laptop in to the wall outlet. I connected the speakers to my audio interface and my laptop is connected to the interface via usb, I know it's only the laptop charger because whenever I unplug the laptop from the charger the buzzing stops. does anybody know how to fix this!?
Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Basically your laptop is running off the wall socket power whenever it is plugged in.

The presence of buzz in your audio says to me that there is not enough current coming from the wallwart for it to do a good job - this sort of buzz comes from devices that are OK for charging a device but not running it, I get the same problem when I run my SH101 from a low current wallwart, but not a high current one (when it tries to pull the current it needs, it creates ripples on the dc lines which are the buzz that you can hear).

It is not a ground loop as most wallwarts are double insulated which means that there is no connection from it to ground in the first place. no connection to ground at the computer means no possible ground loop issues.

Best you can do is
  1. to use a couple of di boxes with ground lift switches to see if that fixes the problem or
  2. add some extra electrolytic capacitors to the power circuit to further reduce current ripple (not really a viable option unless you have the immediate skills) or
  3. get a high current wallwart for your laptop.

Basically your laptop is running off the wall socket power whenever it is plugged in.

The presence of buzz in your audio says to me that there is not enough current coming from the wallwart for it to do a good job - this sort of buzz comes from devices that are OK for charging a device but not running it, I get the same problem when I run my SH101 from a low current wallwart, but not a high current one (when it tries to pull the current it needs, it creates ripples on the dc lines which are the buzz that you can hear).

It is not a ground loop as most wallwarts are double insulated which means that there is no connection from it to ground in the first place. no connection to ground at the computer means no possible ground loop issues.

Best you can do is
  1. to use a couple of di boxes with ground lift switches to see if that fixes the problem or
  2. add some extra electrolytic capacitors to the power circuit to further reduce current ripple (not really a viable option unless you have the immediate skills) or
  3. get a high current wallwart for your laptop.

What ?
Another ?
You state it isn't a ground loop , then suggest DI and ground lift ??
Then you state it is AC ripple on the PSU underload ......
.... are you aware that a laptop PSU is not a linear supply ?

There are quite a few things that can cause this problem .
Read the thread I linked you to .
You need to go through the possibilities and eliminate them until you are left with the cause .
Then take action / buy what you need .
Post here if you have questions and I will try to help , but the test have to be done accurately and systematically by you .
I can't do that for you , and thus I can't repair anything for you over the net .

There are quite a few things that can cause this problem .
Read the thread I linked you to .
You need to go through the possibilities and eliminate them until you are left with the cause .
Then take action / buy what you need .
Post here if you have questions and I will try to help , but the test have to be done accurately and systematically by you .
I can't do that for you , and thus I can't repair anything for you over the net .

I think I will buy a universal power supply for my laptop like you mentioned and I will see how that goes, Thanks! Also, I've been told of power bars that keep sound in or something like that would that help?

I haven't and don't recommend you buy anything until you have read the thread and trouble shot the problem accordingly .

I did, and i've figured that the problem is my laptop charger because whenever i unplug it, the humming stops.

Back