Should I buy this ASR-10?

jphat

I'm thinking about buying an ASR-10 for $750. It comes with SCSI, 200 disks worth of sounds, and a zip drive in perfect condition. Do you think that's a good deal?

I already own a Juno-G and I'm kind of wondering if it's going to be a waste of money to buy another keyboard. I'm diggin the ASR-10's warmth though.

What do you think? I have an MPC 2000 already that I can use as a sequencer and sampler if I want, but for some reason, I just want to cop an extra keyboard (ASR-10).

If that's going to be a waste of money...then I can just use that money to buy monitors and a set of turntables w/a mixer...or something that is a cheaper alternative of the ASR-10 but still good?

WHAT'S BETTER FOR ME TO DO?

get the rack if you want one man the 200 disc's of sound are whatever there someones elses samples this is about normal for the asr keyboard with scsi i have seen it go for less to around 600 so its up to you. I dont think the asr is that "warm" sounding i have heard some that sound better in the same price range so its a tuff call. I wouldnt if it were me but thats me.

You already have a mpc 2000 which I think is warm enough. I think 750 for an ASR-10 no matter how many upgrades it has and how blue the screen is, is way too much. I wouldn't spend more than 6 bills and even that thing better look crispy clean with SCSI and OEX outputs. ASR's are just really old.

In terms of the price, it's ok i guess if the disks will actually be of value to you. I actually bought one without scsi for a bit under $300 shipped. I figure if i want scsi, i'll still pay a bit less than what i was finding, i'll see when i actually start using it (in the mail as we speak).

Although i've yet to use one, i really don't think they are worth what people are paying for them. I remember when i was first interested in one, about 4 years ago, you could easily find them for around $400 or cheaper. I thinks that's about the right price for what the machine does. Then kanye became the producer everyone wanted to be and they just skyrocketed in price. To me, paying the extra $300 they go for now to get what kayne has is dumb.

The rack is the best deal if you want a maxed out asr since it basically is maxed out from the start. Plus it goes up to 32megs of ram instead of the 16 on the board (i could be wrong on this). They are consistantly around $500.

i think people jumped on the asr when that alch video droped way before kayne ever had a part of it .......... just my opinion. We all know people are to ready to jump ship on what ever producers are using these days i wish i could open a music gear store and just sell products endorsed by producers i would be rich. The new NI battery 4.0 edition now with blaze kits straight from your fav producer only 499.00 lol

FullSpectrum said:
i think people jumped on the asr when that alch video droped way before kayne ever had a part of it .......... just my opinion. We all know people are to ready to jump ship on what ever producers are using these days i wish i could open a music gear store and just sell products endorsed by producers i would be rich. The new NI battery 4.0 edition now with blaze kits straight from your fav producer only 499.00 lol

lol .....

jphat said:
I'm thinking about buying an ASR-10 for $750. It comes with SCSI, 200 disks worth of sounds, and a zip drive in perfect condition. Do you think that's a good deal?

I already own a Juno-G and I'm kind of wondering if it's going to be a waste of money to buy another keyboard. I'm diggin the ASR-10's warmth though.

What do you think? I have an MPC 2000 already that I can use as a sequencer and sampler if I want, but for some reason, I just want to cop an extra keyboard (ASR-10).

If that's going to be a waste of money...then I can just use that money to buy monitors and a set of turntables w/a mixer...or something that is a cheaper alternative of the ASR-10 but still good?

WHAT'S BETTER FOR ME TO DO?

I think you should get the ASR-10.
I know im a little late ro help you out with your desicision but I'll give my two cents anyway.

I just got an ASR-10 last night in fact for only 300$ with only about 20 discs with sounds.I thought it was a damn good deal so I took it. It's a great keyboard and if your working with software at all you may want to give that up after using the ASR

ditto, its an outstanding machine, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Hype or not, it's a solid piece to have in the studio. It has IMO the BEST sound out of all of the workstations competing w/ it. Plus that's a great deal. You can always buy it and resell it for more on Ebay if you don't want it :)

Back