Reducing lag time between midi controller and playack

zetaborealis

Hey, so one of the biggest problems I'm facing is the lag time from when I press a note on my EMU X-board 61 and the playback from ableton.
I have tried messing with the settings, downloaded ASIO4all and all that but I just can't seem to fix it.
My question is, if I buy an audio interface, would this help my problem? I have heard that having an audio interface would reduce lag, but I really want to be sure before considering purchasing one.
Thanks in advance

You should get some kind of a performance increase with Asio4All (considering it's working properly), but yes, an audio interface made for music-making will probably help.

Hi,
thanks as always for the prompt reply.
So I've managed to get ASIA4ALl working after some trouble. (It's annoying that I cannot have youtube or itunes running at the same time).
And this definitely significantly helped with the lag problem.
However, what I have noticed is that the overall sound from playback is slightly different when I use the ASIO4ALL driver.
When using ASIO everything sounds less bassy and more trebly compared to normal.
This is realy annoying and I now don't know which one to mix everything on, what woujld be the true representation of the sound?
has anyone else had this problem when changing drivers, or soundcards or whatever?
I know my laptop came with some dolby sound enhancemeny stuff but I have turned off all sounds enhancements and eq settings on the computer already.

thanks a lot in advance

Set the ASIO to 416 at the lowest. This should be about 10ms. Audio interface may help some. It'd prly be better just to get uh better soundcard..

Back