Question about sample tuning

dominic94

I got a question.

For example if I got any sample does not matter it is some kind of scream sampled from a movie, video and etc. or even my own recorded voice, scream, weird sound and etc. but that sound is out of tune, it does not belong to any note. For example sometimes your guitar string goes out of tune and then you have to tune it in particular key. So how to do the same thing with any sample ? I hope you understand what I am asking for, my english is not the best.

THanks

Hi,

Most samplers have at least one tuning knob – often two of them. One is for tuning in half note steps (12 on one octave) and on is for fine tuning in cents. Record your samples together with the tracks you want to match it to and then turn the knobs until your ears stop bleeding/you achieve the desired result. Also, you can try figuring out the key of the sample by recording a track and then playing different notes in an instrument that you know is in tune. A third way is to line up the sample on your keys and then play it back in different pitches until you find the one.

Also, I can tip you off on a plugin called Voxengo SPAN that can be used to figure out pitches on a track.

Also, I can tip you off on a plugin called Voxengo SPAN that can be used to figure out pitches on a track.

I use Ableton so I have Spectrum built in, but this one looks like a really nice option.

jaevladaniel is on point. If you use a spectrum analyzer, you can see where the peak is and it will tell you what note that frequency falls under. In Ableton, I can put my mouse over where it tells me the desired note is, then I keep triggering the clip / adjusting the pitch until the peak of the spectrum lines up. You can get it pretty quick like that.

Also, I recently started using Antares autotune for instrument samples. You can put it *after* your spectrum rack, tell it what scale you're working in and as you tune your sample close enough to what you want, it will perfect the sound on a level you just can't get purely by tuning.

Back