Project studio mixers - recommendations?

comradec

I'm looking for a project studio alternative to my Edirol M-10DX digital mixer. The M-10DX provides a good, clean sound and the built-in effects are okay, but its multi-functional controls are a pain to use. The same knobs are used to control both panning and FX send, to pick one example, so you can't tell at a glance how it's set up. A multi-menu display screen has to be navigated to adjust or check the settings.

So I'm after a mixer that doesn't have any of that multi-functional controls nonsense but retains a relatively small footprint. I would prefer one with some built-in effects (but not a closed system so that I can still connect an external FX processor if I want), 12 to 16 channels, and an emphasis on stereo channels would be ideal as it will be used primarily with synthesizers and to connect my audio interface (an Edirol FA-66). It would definitely need at least a couple of inserts for compressors and such like - unless, that is, it already has a built-in compressor.

Preferably something in the price range of 200 to 400 GBP (ie, roughly equivalent to 300 to 600 USD).

I also have a Yamaha MG124c mixer but I've found that to be quite noisy, mainly, I think, because most of its inputs are unbalanced. So a mixer with all, or nearly all, balanced inputs would be best for me.

Any recommendations (or warnings) gratefully received. Among the products that have caught my eye so far are Soundcraft's EFX8 and EFX12, and Allen & Health's Zed 12FX or maybe the Zed 14 (although that has no built-in FX).

Last edited:
The soundcraft M series are superb. Very quiet, excellent EQ and have clean pre's. Used you can score one. I bought a M12 for 550 usd.

Hey sorry to hijack but I have a question about your m10dx as I'm about to buy one to function as my audio interface as well as to hook up my turntable to my pc. Does it have preamped phono/line for this? Also, can it function as a full fledged audio interface such as an Alesis Multimix/Mackie Onyx or is the USB port only to connect to an actual audio interface? How effective is the RAC function? Thanks a lot!

There is no USB port on the M-10DX. Its big brother, the M-16DX, has one and can be used as an audio interface, but the M-10DX has no USB connectivity at all - it's just a mixer. Pity, really, because that would have made it a much more attractive product.

It has L/R phono inputs for a record deck or similar. I've never used the RAC function so can't comment on that.

Incidentally, in the end I purchased an Allen & Heath Zed-12FX. Its audio interface functionality is minimal as it only offers 16-bit quality, but as a mixer it is absolutely brilliant.

Last edited:
Hi I wonder if you might be able to help me. I have recently bought an Edirol M-10DX mixer which I have connected to my Edirol UA-25 audio interface via digital out (M-10DX) and in (UA25). When I try and record or play in Logic I get 'Error whilst trying to synchronize Audio and Midi - Sample rate 48000 recognized. Check conflict between logic pro and external device.'

It works fine using the UA-25 and Logic together, it's just since I added the M-10DX. I have followed instructions of how to set up and looked at various forums but everything I have tried so far hasn't worked.

Hope you can help.

thanks

Hi I wonder if you might be able to help me. I have recently bought an Edirol M-10DX mixer which I have connected to my Edirol UA-25 audio interface via digital out (M-10DX) and in (UA25). When I try and record or play in Logic I get 'Error whilst trying to synchronize Audio and Midi - Sample rate 48000 recognized. Check conflict between logic pro and external device.'

It works fine using the UA-25 and Logic together, it's just since I added the M-10DX. I have followed instructions of how to set up and looked at various forums but everything I have tried so far hasn't worked.

Hope you can help.

It seems likely that you have your UA-25 audio interface and Logic set to work with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz but your M-10DX set to 48 kHz. Or the other way round.

You need to go into the UTILITY settings of the M-10DX, which are accessed by pressing the CURSOR [BWD] and [FWD] buttons simultaneously. Then, using the BWD/FWD buttons, scroll down to the Sample Freq function. When you get there, change the setting from 48 to 44.1 (or vice versa, depending on which it is now), using the [+] or [-] buttons.

See pages 37/38 of the manual (English language version). It can be downloaded here if you don't have a copy already.

Hey

thanks so much for such a speedy reply. Yes that worked thanks! The only issue now is that after I have recorded there is no sound on playback. I have connected microphone to mic 1 (shure sm58) and guitar to line in 1. Audio output and input is set to the UA25. Sorry, still new to recording...any help appreciated.

Thanks

Not sure that I can take you through all the steps involved in recording - especially as I have no experience of the Logic software or MacOS computer that you're using. This might be better done as a post on a brand new topic.

Back