planning on buying a new turntable

Depends on what you want,belt drive,usb,rca,etc.
If you don't plan on doing a lot of scratching i would say the Numark,Ion or Stanton,all are usb
and are plug and play,making them easy to hook up.It'll run you about $100-$150.

Peace

Well first, what is your price range? Second, are you buying a turntable for sampling, or do you want to be able to scratch as well? In general, you always want a turntable with a direct drive rather than a belt drive. Belt drive's break and slow down after a while, as well as taking longer to return to normal speed.
If you just want a turntable to sample with, and thats it. I would get the cheapest new Stanton you can find, I believe it's like 99$ or close to. Because 1, it is super cheap, and 2, it is really easy to sample your records with. I have a Stanton T.92 USB and it cost me about 400 with the warranty and what not. I'm really happy with it, but it isn't pro grade gear. I can do baby scratches, but without dropping close to a grand on your turntable you just aren't going to be able to scratch like Q-bert.

Last edited:
technics 1200 or 1210... after recently rescuing my record collection i bought a 1200 and i'm really pleased... i've been into vinyl since 1991 and have never enjoyed listening as much as i do now on the 1200...

i picked it up on ebay for about £150 then replaced the stylus for another £30... worth every penny... i've never heard my vinyl sound so tuff

i had a look at the mp3 convertor types when i was thinking about buying and decided you lose all the bottom end... they all seemed cheap and nasty to me, couldnt find anything worth buying... they're all made of plastic... a technics is a heavy piece of kit, rock solid...

i think the 1200 is good for hip hop / scratching etc because the drive is quicker but the 1210 has better timing so is better for long crossfades (so better for house, dnb etc) i'm sure somebody here can clarify...

both have excellent sound... even the audiophiles and classical snobs talk about technics these days

but the sad thing is they no longer manufacture them... you can still get brand new ones but expect to pay a lot... the second hand market is thriving... pick one up while you can.

you can't talk about vinyl and turntables without at least considering a technics...

---------- Post added at 06:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 AM ----------

"If you just want a turntable to sample with, and thats it. I would get the cheapest"

sorry but i have to disagree... if your turntable is weak, your sample will be weak and your work will be weak... get things right at the source... build solid foundations...

technics have played a huge part in hip hop sound and culture and when ever you listen to a hip hop track that has a break or a sample the chances are a technics was invovled somewhere along the chain...

Back