Phone, Ipad or ipod?? for making music

bulgarianprince

I was thinking I wanted the right "take with me technology" to create and play music on the go. I see more and more app's comming out for the Iphone/touch, and was wondering what other people are doing for fun on the go?

AmpliTube on the iPhone and iPad are both great. You may be surprised that you can do more than just jam on the go with them, as much fun as that is. They also have a built in multitracker you can add on, 4 tracks on iPhone, and 8 tracks on iPad. Each channel has reverb, compression, and EQ, too.

You can import backing tracks to jam to or for mixing in any available track. You can then apply any of the stomps, amps, or rack effects to the tracks, mix, and pan.

GrooveMaker is the perfect companion for creating backing tracks for AmpliTube. You can create a beat and export it at 16/44.1, then import it directly into AmpliTube. And you can always do all of your producing using loops in GrooveMaker, if guitars aren't your thing.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I'm a DROID user, and am jealous of the tasty music production apps that can be found on the iPhones / iPads. They simply blow all the music production apps found of the DROID Marketplace away (IMO). My next phone will be an iphone for sure.

I was a little sad that the iPhone / iPad apps are not transferrable to macbooks. Guess I just need to wait for the phone for now.

-H-

Groovemaker is great! Its more than just backing tracks. You can easily make full sounding tracks out of it, switch tempos, samples/loops and create full songs on it!

If your a guitar/bass player then definitely check out the new AmpliTube Fender release!

I seen intua beatmaker 2 for the iPad and it looks crazy! Its very powerful if you learn how to use it. Plus you can't go wrong with $20 for the app compared to $200 for software that does the same thing.

VocaLive is available on iTunes now. If you ever wanted to do studio quality autotune style pitch correction and effects, voice morphing, choir harmonizing, doubling, or standard production effects like reverb, EQ, compression, delay, chorus, phaser, and envelop filtering, then this is the app for you.

Check out the FREE version before purchasing.

itunes.apple.com/app/vocalive/id410619243?mt=8
itunes.apple.com/app/vocalive-free/id419846636?mt=8

Last edited:
I've used Beatmaker 1 and now BM2 on my phone for fooling around on the go. BM1 had a slew of (in my opinion) fundamental functions missing such as cut groups for example. Sure you could program the sounds to stop using a 0 velocity note. But that kinda defeats the idea behind some quick beatmaking on the go.

In BM2 these things have mostly been all implemented, still no pad copy or exporting of project stems tho. The last one can be circumvented by muting tracks while exporting and exporting the song multiple times but it's still a bit bummer if you ask me.

I did however just see that Image Line is going to come out with a iOS version of FL. And the specs said it would save in native FL format so you could freely switch between your phone and desktop soft. Time will tell how that plays out. Hopefully very well, not because I lubs FL to bits. But mostly because if it does really well, it will be a kick in the backside of most major DAW developers who have been sleeping on this.

Back