Need help trying to create build up/ sound !

Pcollins10

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums and mixing in general so I apologize ahead of time if I suck at communicating exactly what it is I'm looking to accomplish, but basically I want to know how to create the kind of build up that is featured in this song:

Sound Remedy - Chiaroscuro (sorry I tried to post a link but I wasn't allowed because I'm a noob)

You can hear it at 1:10 and the transition that I am interested in is the build up that really comes in at about 1:18 - 1:23. I'm not sure how to explain it.

I would just like to know what is happening to the sound. Is it pitching up? Is there a specific effect there? And how would I go about creating that effect in Ableton.

-Thanks for any help guys. If I need to be more specific I can try to clarify.

Basically it's a synth filtered through an automated low pass filter. A low pass (or high cut filter, which is the same) cuts all frequencies above the filter frequency.

In this case the filter frequency is set quite low and then, for building up, raised through automation.

In Ableton you can use auto filter to create that effect.

Of course there is a lot more going on, like delays and reverbs, but basically it's the low pass filter that creates that sense of the sound opening up.

When you search for ableton auto filter on youtube, you'll find a bunch of tutorials.

Last edited:
Back