My Computer and Its Specs - Keep & Upgrade or Buy a New One?

R

Robby2382

Alright, since Christmas is coming, and my birthday less then three months after it, I'm going to have, well at least hopefully since things are pretty tight right now, a average amount of spending money to work with for my music.

Before I go on and say everything about the computer, I am only a little bit familiar with all the small details and only know the basics of everything and what the things on the motherboard do. So if I miss something, just let me know.

OS: My computer is an HP, it's running on Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3. As far as the OS goes, I'm pretty sure sticking with XP is the best idea. Correct me if I'm wrong, but many people use XP since it doesn't take much memory use from the interface with it and everything.

CPU: Intel (R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
I know for a fact the CPU could easily be better, but I'm not sure where to start looking when it comes to upgrading those. So if anyone knows what I need to know about my computer to be able to buy the correct CPU for my motherboard, please tell me.

Ram: I actually took the chips out of my computer and looked at them. The ram is DDR, not DDR2. I think those are the only types, right? DDR and DDR2? If it comes down to it I can make sure but I know that it isn't DDR2. I have 2, 256MB chips for that, and a third which doesn't say totalling 0.99GB of ram according to the "My Computer" readings. This is an easy upgrade, I heard that 4 GB of ram is plenty, is this correct? If so, I can go out and by a pack of ram memory.

Motherboard: I'm not sure what the model of this is. I did some searching and it says that
If your computer is an OEM computer, such as a Dell or Hewlett Packard, the model number may be the model number of your computer and not motherboard

If this is the case then my system manufacturer is HP Pavilion 061 and the System Model number is PW729AA-ABA A814X. I have no idea how to figure out from that what the motherboard is though. This is why I ask, how can I figure out about upgrading my motherboard all together? I know there are certain things that make upgrading your motherboard not possible with some PC's, I'm sure someone know's how to figure out what my Motherboard is from those numbers above if they could help me with that. Everything is stock on the PC.

Soundcard: Right now it just says Realtek, but either way I plan on upgrading. I also have no idea with this where to start with upgrading it.

Now, the question is should I go along and upgrade piece by piece, or should I buy a new PC? The reason why I wanna lean more towards upgrading piece by piece is because this computer is older, which doesn't mean however I can't upgrade it, it means that I'm pretty sure I can upgrade everything and for some of the parts they are cheaper.

All in all, I have no idea where to start with all of this so if anyone can help me with all this technical stuff, I'd appreciate it lol.

Back