Looking for a good mic under $200 (mxl 3000)

danny untundro

:hmmm:Im currently building a studio and,i want a good mic for under $200.i watched alot of vids on different mics n it seems the mxl 3000 is the best choice for me quality wise any other suggestion,i will go $250 max.

:hmmm:Im currently building a studio and,i want a good mic for under $200.i watched alot of vids on different mics n it seems the mxl 3000 is the best choice for me quality wise any other suggestion,i will go $250 max.

Check ebay for some used quality mics that can be had for around that price range. I'd leave the cheap chinese made versions alone unless you have plans to have it modded in the future or something.

I'd be trying to find a AKG c214 used for around $250.

It would be tough, since they are usually around $300-$400, but you can probably find a deal somewhere. Maybe Guitar Center's used website.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Guitar Center

They have one for $225

GRAB IT! lol. I usually don't link people to the deals I find.... but I'd need 3-4 months to save for it. It'll probably be gone by then anyway.

If you want a good starter mic that goes for around the $250 mark, check out the AKG C214. This mic is the cheaper version of its bigger brothers...the C414 series. These are premium quality mics & have a long standing history. As a matter of fact, my first condenser mic was an AKG C1000 I got back in the early 90's. This mic opened my eyes to what differentiates dynamics mics & condensers.

If you check out ebay, there's a package deal on a C214 that's going for just under $300 new. But it's a limited time deal with two or three days left then the price goes back up to around $400.

Last edited:
thanks man ima take your word on this one i checked out a couple you tube video test an it seems to have very good quality much appreciated

I am probably gonna sound like a clown to many when I say this but if you are starting out in a home studio and this is your first mic buy a dynamic. They are much much cheaper and much much more forgiving. I recently bought a Super Lux mic for recording videos for YouTube and its a world of difference between my MXL condensor mic. Here are a couple of video examples.

This video was done with my Super Lux dynamic I got for $50

This video was done with my condensor

They can both sound pro but the condensor is way way too sensitive in comparison to the dynamic it picks up every little noise in the house which is cool if you have a vocal booth but if you do not go dynamic. You will get a really light signal but you can always process that to get it to a respectable level and still get all of the benefit of getting a really clear signal. Countless albums including Thriller was recorded with the Shure S58 which is a $100 dynamic mic.

Dynamic with a decent preamp sounds amazing. Especially for spoken word or if you're recording in a less than stellar location.

^man yall are tellin the truth.

i just grabbed an SM57 and paired it w/ my Studio Project VTB1. I was ready to toss this preamp until i paired it w/ this... i really like the sound lol. I was only planning to use the SM57 as my talkback mic (and since everybody says you have to have one as a workhorse mic). But dare I say I like it better than my AKG Perception 120? Not like the 120 is a superb mic or anything... but this thing is 1) clean, 2) it only picks up what I point it at, and 3) I don't feel the need to do a lot of corrective work to the vocals. I have it sitting on top of my desk, directly above the computer, and it picks up zero (and i mean ZERO) computer noise. My booth is good.. but not that damn good.

Back