Learn the process & you won’t need the techniques!

innerstatejt

innerstatejt

If there is one major issue with music production that I have noticed as an overwhelming trend, it’s that all the music content around it is based on techniques.

“This one EQ trick” will make you sound like a great producer!”

“Learn this one synth technique & you’ll never have any sound design issues”

“With the new tools in Ableton 14, you’ll never have a problem finishing songs again!”

Sadly, these are the headlines that get clicks & it’s also the content the leads producer’s astray.

New techniques are not what you need. Most of the time it’s like learning how to set the perfect roofing tiles when you haven’t even designed the floor plan for your house.

Very few people in this field talk about the floor plan. Why? It’s not flashy, it’s not sexy and it requires a good amount of mental work. Most new producers are trying to find a technique the negates the need to do the real work & this is why so many producers fail to reach their goals.

They are promised that if they just get this one plugin, this collection of samples or this one fucking midi pack, music will no longer require any work. That’s a pretty attractive proposal.

And don’t get me wrong, tools are great. I make a few of them myself, but any producer I speak to personally knows that I always recommend the fundamentals to be learned first. You need to know how to build a house before you watch 100 videos on interior decoration.

But they may say “oh, you just want me to make cookie cutter music with your ‘process’. NO mother truckers! There is the way music is put together, just like there is an order to how you make a cake. Why are you learning how to put on the frosting when you haven’t even mixed the damn batter?

I am telling you. If you learn to build the foundation with a process & the fundamentals, you will have no creative limits to what you can create. If fact, you can even ignore or rewrite the rulebook! Why are so many producers afraid of putting in the work? They spend more time taking cool pictures for their instagram artist page than they do making actual music. There is nothing cool about having a mysterious image but no substance to back it up.

What are your true priorities? If it’s making music, then you better get really damn good at understanding how song crafting works. Not how to make wubs, bleeps or booms. That comes after you’ve mastered the process. and yes, part of the process is understanding how to make sense of the cool sounds you hear in other songs.

The thing is, once you understand all the ground work, you won’t have to look up tricks and techniques nearly as much. You’ll realize in many cases, that you already have the knowledge. Then when you DO look up a technique, you will know exactly how it fits into your music & be able to learn it, apply it & get back to music making.

You should make it a practice to spend 80% of your creative time actually creating & only 20% at most seeking information when you get stuck on something.

Just by teaching people the fundamentals & a process, i’ve helped people go from never finishing a song, to finishing new songs in about a week & getting in the charts with it. Moving faster doesn’t mean you are losing quality. You’re actually gaining quality by moving as fast as your brain likes to calculate. When you slow things down, you give your brain time to believe it might be making a poor decision & thus being afraid to make the next. it’s better to make mistakes than to not take action. You can’t learn or progress if you aren’t doing anything.

If you feel overwhelmed with finishing music that you are proud of, you are NOT just 1 technique away. You are NOT 1 plugin away. You are a full process away. When you begin to think differently about what you think your problems are, you’ll discover that those problems are just symptoms of having a lack of understanding of the process.

I know this isn’t a sexy post, but I promise you it’s the truth & if you give yourself time to ponder this, you’ll appreciate the impact it will have on your creative life.

If you would like to learn more about the Process, I have put together a free 90 minute Masterclass for you that condenses just about everything I know about the fundamentals of Music Production. There no sales pitch, just straight content.

Watch the free masterclass: musicsoftwaretraining.com/complete

Happy music making!

What gripes me the most about this industry is that every little thing is monetized. Like this post, you're clearly trying to make money off it. It's gross. If you don't do it for the sake of art, you won't get anywhere. And leading beginners to your monetized site with a lure of "free masterclass" that really doesn't offer anything, is just a scam really.

Anything you want to learn about sound design, you don't need to go look at a video. Turn every knob in your DAW. That's the only way you will learn.

I can't believe the amount of garbage people are selling. Filters, beats, lyrics, etc. Why bother make a song when it's not original to you?

What music have you produced that you are confident enough to teach? It says nothing in the about section.

Last edited:
Are you serious right now? There is seriously no sales pitch in a masterclass that I spent weeks putting together & decades to learn.

Do you get mad every time a new song is presented to you because the artist might make .004 cents off your stream? Or GASP someone may end up buying the album because of the share?

I have spend decades in near poverty Producing music & sharing my knowledge because I absolutely love it. Does it piss you off If that leads in some small way to me benefiting from these decades of hard work?

What kind of mindset is this man?

Would it seriously anger you to know that I DO make a living from students who appreciate my work?

Once again, there is zero sales pitch or pressure to buy a single thing. I am trying to connect with more aspiring producers who connect with my work. I don't need to hard sell anyone. I give freely & if that means someone reaches out to me for more help. All the better.

BTW, Have you even watched the content before you made this biased opinion on it?

Is there anything "salesy" about anything I wrote above?

Have you contributed anything beneficial to this community besides criticizing the content people create? Or are you more of the guy who only posts "listen to my soundcloud bro!". Is this not self promotion in the exact same way?

You are literally reaching out to connect with people, perhaps even gain a fan or 2. Nothing wrong with that, but just understand that you are here for the exact same reason as I am. You hope people like what you do. You hope it connects you to cool people.

I'm totally fine if you don't enjoy my posts. Nothing on this board is for everyone. I'm simply here to connect & contribute. And yes, sometimes that leads to people reaching out. I just recommend you take a breath & stop acting like "THAT GUY" in the music forum.

Instead, try to figure out how you can make a better contribution to this community than me. Outdo me by being the most helpful person on here. THAT is how you win.

cheers,
Jason

Alright let's hear some of your music then.
What have you created that you are confident you are able to teach?
Show us.

First thing when I click on your website.

A sales pitch.

Attachments

• 1s.GIF
    1s.GIF
    158.4 KB · Views: 3
I have spend decades in near poverty Producing music & sharing my knowledge because I absolutely love it. Does it piss you off If that leads in some small way to me benefiting from these decades of hard work?

Doesn't piss me off, what pisses me off is that you disgusise your post as innocent but it's really a sales pitch.
Your post isn't to teach, it's to make a sale.

Would it seriously anger you to know that I DO make a living from students who appreciate my work?

Not at all, good for you.

Once again, there is zero sales pitch or pressure to buy a single thing. I am trying to connect with more aspiring producers who connect with my work. I don't need to hard sell anyone. I give freely & if that means someone reaches out to me for more help. All the better.

Umm... k.
BTW, Have you even watched the content before you made this biased opinion on it?

Yep. Let's just say.

Is there anything "salesy" about anything I wrote above?

Yep.

Have you contributed anything beneficial to this community besides criticizing the content people create? Or are you more of the guy who only posts "listen to my soundcloud bro!". Is this not self promotion in the exact same way?

No, I usually compliment. And I am reaching out to get criticism and feedback, not to make a sale.

You are literally reaching out to connect with people, perhaps even gain a fan or 2. Nothing wrong with that, but just understand that you are here for the exact same reason as I am. You hope people like what you do. You hope it connects you to cool people.

Ur trying to make a sale.

I'm totally fine if you don't enjoy my posts. Nothing on this board is for everyone. I'm simply here to connect & contribute. And yes, sometimes that leads to people reaching out. I just recommend you take a breath & stop acting like "THAT GUY" in the music forum.

Instead, try to figure out how you can make a better contribution to this community than me. Outdo me by being the most helpful person on here. THAT is how you win.

K.

I'm not saying it's just you, I'm saying it's the industry as a whole.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And-- Everyone is entitled to eat/make a living and pursue their dreams. If you don't want to buy paywall content, don't. But many have died hungry because they "just loved art," but never figured out how to make a living. You need both-- love (and some talent), and business sense as well.

GJ

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And-- Everyone is entitled to eat/make a living and pursue their dreams. If you don't want to buy paywall content, don't. But many have died hungry because they "just loved art," but never figured out how to make a living. You need both-- love (and some talent), and business sense as well.

GJ

Dude are you obsessed with me or something, really got a thing for me, eh?

Dude are you obsessed with me or something, really got a thing for me, eh?

Actually, "dude," that's how you've been acting towards this other member, which I was trying to gently point out to you. Get it together.

GJ

I hope what you're saying is true because that's the way im going about it now. Thanks for the free video. I dont use the same DAW as you but Im sure I can learn something from an hour and a half long video. Lol!

If there is one major issue with music production that I have noticed as an overwhelming trend, it’s that all the music content around it is based on techniques.

“This one EQ trick” will make you sound like a great producer!”

“Learn this one synth technique & you’ll never have any sound design issues”

“With the new tools in Ableton 14, you’ll never have a problem finishing songs again!”

Sadly, these are the headlines that get clicks & it’s also the content the leads producer’s astray.
I agree. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in. People game changing tips and tricks, not realizing that having good foundations and 'really' understanding the basics is what you need.

the title should read something like: Paying for a (hopefully my) masterclass on fundamentals is a better use of money than the latest plugin or w/e someone is flouting. You were in fact trying to make sales; objectively.

Back