Laptop with i7 vs sound card

pronoob

I am looking to purchase a laptop that I want to use for live play back in fruity loops that I will control with a midi controller, I would like to be able to playback live in fruity loops with all the effects being rendered live (or at least as much as I can with no lag), my question is should I get a laptop with an 8 core processor, or just get a nice sound card instead, also one more question, if I had an 8 core processor would Fruity Loops be able to utilize most of the cores? Thanks.

I can't speak specifically to using FL.

But I once had a laptop with a nice sound card. Now I have a desktop with a quad-core i7 (and a nice sound card). If you're looking to render things quickly, and pull up effects on the fly, I'd go with the better processor. Komplete 8 runs like sh!t through a funnel on my outdated laptop. The i7 machine brings items up in a flash. Hope this helped, at all.

Last edited:
Thanks for the speedy reply!

So if I understand you correct you got better results with an i7 processor than your sound card? I wonder if this would still be true with a 200$ sound card

I'm not sure if I will be able to customize a laptop like adding a sound card, I think I'd have to buy one already with a sound card.

I'm about to go back to a Laptop after having a Mac Pro. If you're doing live shows and a lot of people are showing up, I would suggest getting a really good sound card and a really good laptop.

Back