Korg padKontrol - in need of serious help!!!

ultra_exciter

I recently bought the korg padkontrol online from ebay, it arrived today, I'm almost 100% sure it is broken. It wasn't in its original packaging but it did come with a usb cable and the starter CD, unfortunately apples newest line of macbook pros don't come with disc drives. I downloaded all essential software from the korg website - now, why I think it is broken...

The pads respond in Logic perfectly fine BUT that's about it, the x/y pad doesn't do a thing, the flam and roll don't do ANYTHING to the sound. I would be incredibly grateful if somebody could suggest some tests I could carry out so I could find out whether or not the thing is really broken or whether I'm just being obtuse.

Here is a list of my concerns
1) the x/y pad is completely unresponsive
2) the setting knob is completely unresponsive
3) every time I hit the setting/enter key the pedal key also lights up (in the youtube demos and tutorials this didn't happen)

So to reiterate, could somebody please tell me what tests I can carry out to determine whether or not any or all of these concerns are signs of a broken padkontrol or signs of me being an idiot.

Many, many, many thanks

Look for MIDI activity, like there should be a MIDI i/o indicator that lights up in response to your controller or you could hit record and open the list editor, sometimes people set up their controllers to work in a specific way so you might also want to consider performing a factory reset.

Thank you for your response. I have performed a factory reset on the thing but it still behaves in the same way. I'm just very reluctant to accept that it is broken and that's why I feel like I need a solid way to test, that allows for no variables, to see if it's dead circuits or not. In the list editor, nothing shows up when I move my fingers around the x/y pad. The same goes for tweaking the settings knob. I'm going to now express my outrage at this ebay cheat!

Thank you for your response. I have performed a factory reset on the thing but it still behaves in the same way. I'm just very reluctant to accept that it is broken and that's why I feel like I need a solid way to test, that allows for no variables, to see if it's dead circuits or not. In the list editor, nothing shows up when I move my fingers around the x/y pad. The same goes for tweaking the settings knob. I'm going to now express my outrage at this ebay cheat!

don't be upset... some programs don't recognize those functions...

I was thinking the same thing and I bought mine yrs ago... when i got my renaissance.. EVERYTHING was working.....

try a different DAW

I have a PadKontrol.

You actually have to program the XY pad to work properly. It isn't programmed how you would expect it to be stock. At least mine wasn't, I bought it second hand.

There's a good chance it actually works perfectly but the Scene you are working on is just not setup for Flam and Roll. Have you gone to Youtube and checked out a tutorial yet? It is certainly not self-intuitive.

I have a PadKontrol.

You actually have to program the XY pad to work properly. It isn't programmed how you would expect it to be stock. At least mine wasn't, I bought it second hand.

There's a good chance it actually works perfectly but the Scene you are working on is just not setup for Flam and Roll. Have you gone to Youtube and checked out a tutorial yet? It is certainly not self-intuitive.

^ Yup, yup. It's a case of reading the manual.

-Ki
Salem Beats

It's probably most likely that the last owner has changed midi channels for just about everything (I got one last week that was in the same state) you just need to read up on all the functions, midi mapping etc and assign them to what you want in your DAW, sorry I don't use Logic so can't give any detailed advice, but in FL Studio everything is working fine for me now, including the X/Y!

Back