Keyboard advice

Deezel

^How do I change ths name
So, I'm looking for a new keyboard, but don't know which one to get or how to tell if a keyboard can play by itself without being connected to a computer. So I need some direction.

Here are my requirements:

Knobs or sliders (I would like to be able to control my music for live performances.)
61 keys
Can be played by itself without a computer

Also can somebody tell me how I can tell if a keyboard can play without a computer from looking at Amazon?
Thanks in advance.

I like that first one, but it doesnt have any knobs to control parameters in my DAW like I need.

Honestly man, if you have decent vst's there's no reason to have any built in sound banks. I have a keyboard with solid library of sounds but I don't think I use them more often than every 6 months or so. Most soundbanks on keyboards are going to suck unless you spend well over a thousand. You definitely get a lot more bang for your buck if you get a midi only keyboard and stock up on vst's like Kontakt and Massive (assuming you have a decent computer). Just something to think about. If I could go back in time I'd get something like this and save a little money on the keyboard I bought.

Amazon.com : M-Audio Axiom 49 49-Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller with Semi-Weighted Keys and Assignable Control Surface : Musical Instruments

That's my two cents...

I probably should have mentioned that I need a standalone keyboard because I'm a pianist and I'd like to just play without having to haul my computer around with it all the time.

meant to post this two days ago but did not get around to it

issue for me is the budget you have - you don't tell us so making a suggestion may not supported by what you can afford

my first recommendation is the nord electro 61 or 73 keys - these are a brilliant keyboard and very easy to use and cart around - no speakers so you will need an amplifier, but this will do everything you want and allow you to grow as well........

Nord Electro 4D SW61 61 Key | Musician's Friend

nord electro | eBay

with the ebay range I suggest you stick to version 3 or 4

this one sticks out because of the transit case Nord Electro 4D SW61 61 Key Keyboard with Drawbars 4 61 New Free ATA Case | eBay - an extra $200 value for the price others are wanting just for the keyboard

Thanks Bandcoach and everybody else who posted suggestions.

Yeah, I didn't specify a budget range because I honestly didn't know how much those types of keyboards are usually worth. I was just looking for price ranges to get an idea of how much I need to save up. With that said, $2,100 is alittle outside of my budget (by about $1,700), but it's still good to know what my options are. Thanks again.

I had my eye on something like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/korg-microstation-micro-synth-w-sequencer?pfm=sp but wasn't sure if I would be able to control everything in FL like I want to without trying it out first.

Last edited:
i would look into a used workstation, probably be a good fit for what you need. If you can stretch your budget another $100-$200 or have some good negotiation skills you can probably fit one into your budget.

id look into

Fantom XA
Fantom X6
Roland Juno G/Gi [dont look at the Juno 6/60/106.. these are awesome, but theyre not what youre looking for these are vintage analog keyboards]
Motif Es6 [im not sure if the sliders and knobs are midi assignable on this though]

Back