Is this exercise improving or is it harming my keyboard skills?

I'm wondering if this will help or is it just making automatic behavior to run scales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phaRYSx6Nz4

I'm ok with block triads on F minor and C minor with left hand on roots- you know that Bam - Bammm - Bamm - Dunn. I can even arpeggiate triads a little bit to make that Hans Zimmer i-VI-III-VIII

What I want is to extend my reach for broader key range, like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJp_16j8s-A

Thank you.

Can't imagine it would harm your keyboard skills.

It's good to learn just standard major and minor scales and arpeggios in all keys too, making sure you use the correct fingering

Not too sure as I only know all major scales with both hands and have yet to touch minor, exotic or japanese scales or the pentatonic scale yet.
But practice shouldn't harm at all unless doing it wrong.

One thig you should be aware of that we easy create bad habits

I played too much of lead melodies that people do here where i live in balkans " covering "

And a problem i started to face is i created a habit to play melodies like that which was not appropriate for music i was focused to compose

In music so you can be successful is best to focus on only one kind of music so you become too good on that , and you sell it because you do it good

Interested Persona,

It looks like his exercise is geared for developing muscle control in your less dexterous fingers, primarily your ring fingers and pinkies. I never thought about training that, but it looks useful.

Learning scales doesn't teach you to only be able to play scales. It teaches you to be comfortable in any key, so you can easily create melodies or ad-lib with fewer mistakes and without limiting yourself to the few easiest keys.

Interested Persona,

It looks like his exercise is geared for developing muscle control in your less dexterous fingers, primarily your ring fingers and pinkies. I never thought about training that, but it looks useful.

Learning scales doesn't teach you to only be able to play scales. It teaches you to be comfortable in any key, so you can easily create melodies or ad-lib with fewer mistakes and without limiting yourself to the few easiest keys.
^^THIS!!!!!
Nothing sucks worse than a (non horn player, non singer) who can't play in any key.

Just playing arpeggios in all keys both hands is just about as good as you can do.

Make sure you use the right fingers otherwise it's a 100% total waste of time and will give you no benefit whatsoever.

Arpeggio Fingering Chart

1= thumb, 2 = index finger etc

Thanks very much, wasting time is what I really dont want to do!

There are some other fingerings you could use, but the important thing is to use one of the proper fingerings.

Consider having some classical piano lessons if you can afford it. I never liked to listen to classical music until I started to play it, and it's so beneficial for your piano playing and general musicianship.

Back