Is dubstep dead? If not who saved it? Was it ever dead?

The Hoodler

Just looking for some personal opinions on the topic of the death of dubstep, if it's even dead... Some say skrillex and zomboy brought it back, some say must die!, getter, and 12th planet had a lot to do with it. I personally think its all just a huge load of bs, but thats just me. I also wanted to know how people felt about 'future house' and if its even a legitimate genre of edm. It just sounds so much like deep house I cant help it. Im talking people like oliver heldens, kayliox, and tchami.

Maybe it's not "dead". Maybe it's "evolving". Look back to 2009, 2010 and see from where it came from. Certainly it was an evolution.

I would say that it's an evolution. Some of the changes were drastic in certain cases, but the sound has always built on past productions and remained interesting as a result. I enjoy a vast variety of dubstep that's out right now, as well as the older stuff (early Skream, etc.).

not a fan myself but i do like some of the sounds to use in electo/complextro productions, i got dragged to a dubstep night a few years back and its the worst night ive had in a club purely because of the music

It seems the hype has really died down over the past year but i think most people predicted that

Last edited:
IN regards to your "future house" comment, I truly believe in it as a genre of its own. I look at it as if Deep House had a child with BigRoom/EDM (generally speaking). I personally only produce "future house" based tracks. Sticking to many of the deep house principles and rhythm while incorporating strong big room leads and synths.

Genres are dead... they're completely useless for electronic music.

Dubstep didn't even sound like a new genre to me.. just sounded like the good ol' London and Bristol sounds, done slower. Skrillex has almost nothing to do, musically, with Burial or Digital Mystickz (eg. what I considered dubstep). Genre names are just terms for people to latch on to so they can feel part of some trend.... usually by the time a style is well established enough to have a genre-name it's already going stale.

And how can 'dubstep' die? There was no dubstep organization... just people making music and organizing club nights... most of those people are still active in music. That's all that scene ever was, really... there was no signature dubstep sound at first. Having massive mid range wobble bass was precisely NOT the point because we were all tired of being pummeled with machine bass at d'nb parties for years... "come meditate on bass weight". Simply put, there was a lot more 'dub' and a bit less 'step'. But when it went big, of course chugga chugga basslines were instantly recognizable and marketable... subtle notions about minimalism, dub aesthetics and performance (soundclash) went out the window in favour of big room impact and beatport chart appeal. That's all good.. but it lost exactly what made it originally appealing to me when it crossed the ocean and into the mainstream. I know that a lot of people that were around then (and even earlier, I got into jungle around 96/97) feel the same way about it... but at the same time we don't really care because it was never about being part of 'jungle' or 'dubstep' or whatever the next thing is... or having that dictate what's cool or not. There's never that pretense... it's just an ongoing thing where you make a cool beat and I try to top that and then you do something completely different and I go 'hey, that's cool' and put my own twist on it.

I don't think you can look at some of the music that many like to call "brostep" as the progression or evolution of dubstep...they were just extremely popular new types of music that derived some sort of influence from what many consider authentic dubstep...it just so happened that it was so immensely popular, the dubstep of the earlier London days gets kind of overseen, but there's still plenty of people out there making authentic dub songs, they're just not as known and popular as these "brostep" guys...it's just still a bit more underground, as it always was...

Back