How to speed up DAW application?

MadAnthony81

Hi, I heard there is a way to speed up a PC application. I have windows xp and have Ableton Live 8.

Thank you.

Anthony

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Actually I found it. Press cntrl+alt+delete. (not backspace!). I pressed backspace in error. Hope this helps. Don't expect to speed up a bunch of programs and have them all be faster either. Probably not stable either. C-YA

Yes, there is a way to do this; shame you didn't share the whole process with us......

In windows you use the task manager to change the base priority of the exe file from normal to Abovenormal, High or Realtime.

Personally, I have made the drivers for my audio interface run as high and I have done the same for cubase and reason and flstudio.

To do this for yourself:

1. <CTRL>-<ALT>-<DELETE>
  2. Find the process that matches your audio drivers
  3. Right click on the process name
  4. Move the mouse to Select Priority
  5. Set your base priority to High or Realtime (your choice, you will notice if things start going wrong and can always undo this)
  6. Repeat for your DAW
  7. Enjoy the results.

Ctrl-Alt-Del is probably the most well-known Windows shortcut that was previously used to boot the damn thing, now it apparently just brings out the task manager. It certainly doesn't do anything on its own, but bandcoach provided some fine advice there...

sorry, i was actually gong to give more of the process but I hadn't got around to it until now.

Also, I noticed... When I went back after closing my DAW, LIve 8, I had to repeat the CNTRL+alt+Delete, process and redo the right clicking on the DAW. In my case only above normal seemed stable, but that may have been due to others things in my system. Thanks for posting that bandcoach.

Yeah... i wish there was a way for Windows to hold that setting, instead of having to do it every single time.

I don't do it much b/c I didn't truly see a tangible difference. Then again, I only did it once or twice.

The tweaking and stuff helps marginally, if you want a significant improvement SSD is the way to go. At least that's my experience and I'm running a really old crucial drive, the newer drives are beastly.

^ Yeah, that's what I hear. I'm grabbing one next paycheck.

Only thing I'm weary about is copying my OS onto it. I want one as my main system drive for now (then i'm going to get a second larger one as a dedicated sample library reader when prices go down). Only issue is there's no way i'll be able to freeze my first disk's image and just throw it on the SSD, b/c it won't fit.

Is there software that lets you take portions out of the freeze? I'm trying to avoid reinstalling windows 7 and all of my programs lol.
Not sure if i have a choice though.

^ Yeah, that's what I hear. I'm grabbing one next paycheck.

Only thing I'm weary about is copying my OS onto it. I want one as my main system drive for now (then i'm going to get a second larger one as a dedicated sample library reader when prices go down). Only issue is there's no way i'll be able to freeze my first disk's image and just throw it on the SSD, b/c it won't fit.

Is there software that lets you take portions out of the freeze? I'm trying to avoid reinstalling windows 7 and all of my programs lol.
Not sure if i have a choice though.

Honestly if you want to get the best out of your drive a fresh install works best. You'll need software to re-align your partitions, you'll need to make sure trim is on and defrag is off. With a fresh install Win 7 will detect its an SSD and do it for you. While it can be done pretty easily personally I'd never do it. Setting it up and doing it right is just as time consuming as a fresh install.

I think you can actually do it in windows but there is loads of software out there.

*sigh*

Looks like i'ma have to take another L then lol.

Last re-install took me 1 and 1/2 weeks worth of evenings!

@cphoenix: I'm intrigued as to why you need to redo it each time - I did it the once when I set up each of the programmes and they have kept their respective priorities.
@rayzer: running game booseter may help, but it might be better to run through a series of tweaks that optimise the OS for music making, such as
Windows XP SP3 nLited and Audio Optimised - Cockos Confederated Forums,
Optimising your PC for audio on Windows 7 .: Focusrite Answerbase,
Optimize Your PC For Music Production,
Hack your Windows - How to optimize your windows 7 pc for audio

Last edited:
^Interesting. I'll have to double check. As far as i could tell, the priority would change if I closed the program. And definitely if I restarted. I was admittedly pretty tired by the time I got that far in my tweaking session, so I'll double check.

Either way.... i'm grabbing my SSD today to install my system on. Haven't been this excited... well, no I'm lying... i got this excited when my new interface came in last month lol. But still.... EXCITED!!!!

Back