How to cut overlapping 808s in logic 10 using a third party vst

Johnny Hu$tle

Most tutorials that I've come across for this use ultra beat in order to cut the overlapping 808s that bleed into the next transition. The majority of the 808s that I use come from other sources. How would I go about cutting the overlapping frequencies? I'm starting to notice that it creates a lot of muddiness, which in my opinion throws off the whole beat.

I haven't used logic in a year, but I recall being able to import samples into ultrabeat.

I haven't come across any plugins for this off the top of my head.

Never tried logic[windows/linux user] but every daw I've tinkered with had a cut-by option or poly-mono setting to cut off overlapping midi data when doing stuff. Logic probably has one of those. Some daws have that as a setting for the timeline 'chase long notes' etc.

I'm not sure but it sounds like you talking about ADSR. When you say other sources are any of them AU based instruments?

I would check up to see about the ADSR, particularly the release time of the 808 if its cutting into the next transition. I do not know if logic has its own for samples but im 99% sure it does.

Are you using samples? EXS24 is Logic's sampler, and can easily be used to create a drum kit from samples. Do a search on "Build a drum kit with EXS24" and you'll find many tutorials. You could also load the sample and automate gain and EQ to taste. Hope this helps.

btw - Ultrabeat is a drum synthesizer, not sampler.

btw - Ultrabeat is a drum synthesizer, not sampler.

It's both - you can use samples as well as synthesis (and even import kits made in EXS). There's a "group" setting on the far right of Ultrabeat's interface that can be used to accomplish the cutting.

Back