How do YOU recreate vocal rhythms digitally?

seerws

The beats I make with my mouth sound way more professional than the beats I produce in Ableton Live 9. I know there are other factors involved, like syncopation, "anti quantizing" so things sound more natural, but my question isn't "How do I make a professional sounding beat?"

My question is, if I'm beatboxing something with nuanced sounds... ie sika tsik chik, chikita shika... what are the methodologies for getting that kind of nuance into my digital beats?

Please don't tell me I'm the only producer whose staple beat-creation instrument is their mouth.

Thanks. :o

Good drumming/rhythm performance is all about subtlety and nuance. A couple of ideas...

1) When "programming" things like your hi-hat patterns or a shaker part, if you have the skills, play it in rather than step it in. If you are challenged by the tempo and don't want to quantize, _slow it down and then speed the pattern up later!_ You can quantize to a 16th-note rather than an 8th or a quarter, and when you slow the pattern down to play in the notes, you can double the click track so that it helps you audibly sub-divide (count) the beat better.

2) I like (and often have to) work quickly, but I want as much reality and human variation when programming/entering hi-hat parts, shakers, tambourine, etc. Let's assume you're like me-- what do you do? DON'T play all of the notes of a broken 16th-note hi-hat or shaker pattern in at once(!). For instance, if you're working with a two or four bar loop, on the first pass, play in only the quarter note downbeats ("1,2,3,4"), steady and even (pretty much at the same volume). On the _second_ pass, play the upbeat (in-between/"and") notes. If there's a third pass, you can add broken 16th-note variations or a hi-hat opening. When you play the hi-hat track back, the sum total of all of your in-time, but inconsistent (i.e. non-mechanical) note performances will give you a lot more realistic human variation that a real drummer would get in a live playing or recording situation on the first pass. Just don't overdo it, and try to resist the temptation to over-tweak (unless you just really played something so bad it's glaringly obvious). Do a number of shorter loops with the variations (same basic part, with same basic sounds, but slight alterations and adjustments), chain them together in a sequence, and you get some pretty realistic sounding drum parts. Good sound-selection, layering, and applying the technique to other rhythm instruments/sounds (such as snare drum) can fool a lot of people that you actually hired a drummer, rather than programmed a bunch of stuff in on a sampler, drum-machine, or DAW grid...

3) Have you ever tried putting in a basic pattern, using that as your "click," and layering your own "vocal beat" in on top? If I was a johnny beatbox, I'd be doing that all the time...

GJ

Last edited:
Back