Help this Noob: I have this acoustic guitar pickup. What is a good software for it?

vivito

Hi,

I have bought this cheap (10$) guitar pickup for an acoustic guitar, which I have connected it to my laptop's 3.5mm microphone port.

Image of the pickup:

img200.imageshack.us/img200/6276/21b4r21yiwcgk7e28kgrhqj.jpg

This is for a 14 years old kid.

What program can he use to remove the noise of the microphone (this microphone produces A LOT of noise) and add cool effects to the sound (like transform it in another instrument or an electric guitar - in real time). It should be easy to use, allow recording the sound and transforming it and not too CPU-heavy. The laptop is a Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz, with a weak graphic card.

The price of the program is not important. It can be expensive.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have bought this cheap (10$) guitar pickup for an acoustic guitar, which I have connected it to my laptop's 3.5mm microphone port.

Image of the pickup:

img200.imageshack.us/img200/6276/21b4r21yiwcgk7e28kgrhqj.jpg

This is for a 14 years old kid.

What program can he use to remove the noise of the microphone (this microphone produces A LOT of noise) and add cool effects to the sound (like transform it in another instrument or an electric guitar - in real time). It should be easy to use, allow recording the sound and transforming it and not too CPU-heavy. The laptop is a Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz, with a weak graphic card.

The price of the program is not important. It can be expensive.

Thanks.

I worry when I see crap gear coupled with "software cost is no barrier".

Get good gear first and then invest in some software if money is truly no object.

A better pickup - look at Fishman transducers - and a proper audio interface - one that accepts both XLR microphone inputs and 1/4"/6.5mm guitar jack inputs - connected to the computer will go a long way to eliminating the noise issues.

Then software becomes a matter of overall production needs - and believe me, you can pay big money for better.

The software won't do too much to help the noise. Getting rid of the connection to the built in soundcard is the first step. Like dude said above, you need an audio interface with a DI input for the guitar. Most Firewire and USB interfaces have this. There are a few out there (Stealthplug from IK) that are built specifically for guitar users.

Back