Good/Bad mixing technique?

odomesd

What's good everyone, I wanted to know if the way that I begin to mix a instrumental that I've done, is a proper way of getting the right balance and level. I always lower all faders and set my drum group to a level I feel comfortable with (usually between -12 to -6) and begin to raise the rest of the faders indiviually to get an overall balance of the entire song, while obtaining enough headroom in the master fader. My genre of production is mostly rap beats. Is there a better technique for the beginning stages of mixing? I understand the aspect of gain staging but for me this is a better workflow. What are some techniques that works for you guys? Also what is a good level for the master fader? I usually try to keep it at the -6. Is that a good overall mix level?

Hey bro!! I am EyeAm. Their really is NO PROPER way of mixing. You can mix at ANY level (I personally like it around -8db give or take 3 db. The level really doesn't matter though AS LONG AS it's a GOOD MIX. Everything has to blend together nicely. You can increase the volume and all that when the mix is done. MIX and then MASTER!

Hope I helped you a bit bro! Just focuss on a good mix, not the volume :)

So, it's safe to say that mixing is really about personal taste as long as the mix is good and balanced?

I personally first do the levels of all sounds than add effects till i think it's good and then relevel all the sounds that gained or lost from the effects! here is me doing a small mix and explaining every step:

Hoped this helped!

What's good everyone, I wanted to know if the way that I begin to mix a instrumental that I've done, is a proper way of getting the right balance and level. I always lower all faders and set my drum group to a level I feel comfortable with (usually between -12 to -6) and begin to raise the rest of the faders indiviually to get an overall balance of the entire song, while obtaining enough headroom in the master fader. My genre of production is mostly rap beats. Is there a better technique for the beginning stages of mixing? I understand the aspect of gain staging but for me this is a better workflow. What are some techniques that works for you guys? Also what is a good level for the master fader? I usually try to keep it at the -6. Is that a good overall mix level?

This is something that is going to vary among the engineers you ask. My take on this is that every recorded waveform is unique sounding at a particular recording level when recorded at that level because it is the result of the engineering/tuning process, hence the level of the tracks are automatically right when the recording is right. So this means that when you record and do so with a specific result in mind, the recorded levels in the result is what is right. Now, that's if you ask me. My philosophy is that maybe 90% or so of the final result should happen during recording, the remaining 10% are basically about ensuring that the audio fits optimally within a number of quality categories. So it's very essential to achieve the right sound during recording and to be aware at what point you have reached that goal. Now having said that, because in my understanding the information density increases cumulatively with the signal level, therefore you also need to utilize the available headroom as economically as you possibly can. When you don't do so you get basically worse vibe, it's like it lessens the audio and music within it, it is kind of like removing salt from a meal, it gradually loses its taste.

Last edited:
First of all, there is no "right" way of mixing. It changes for everyone. Your style of mixing is something that will develop over time.

I've done a fair bit of research and this is what the professionals recommend!!

When you start a mix, pick one instrument that is going to be your main focus. Get that at the level you like (-12 to -6 db ish)

Then, build your other instruments around it, ONE at a time!!!

Always, have reference tracks to commercial quality songs!

Hopefully these tips helped :)

EyeAm.

Last edited:
You want to find concrete resources to learn a solid foundation and techniques. Once you have the "rules" down, yes I said it, rules, then you can more confidentally venture outside of those boundaries and experiment successfully. A good mix is subjective but at the same time its really not. The music industry has standards and if a track does not meet those standards it will not get pushed. Thats the reality. With that said, strive for clarity, definition, space, depth, and power. Focus on the emotion and energy of the music as you make decisions during the mix phase, and always maintain headroom prior to mastering or outsourcing your masters. -6db is perfect but sometimes you can give or take a few db.

Back