Fugues, Baroque Music, Counterpoint and Tonal Voice Leading

Here's the first lesson (not by me) in order to write counterpoint.

This is most useful in layering different sounds together to form a cohesive piece.

You will learn why 3rds and 6ths are so commonly used, and endings have 5->1 progressions in tradition, as well as changing keys into parallels and relatives, it all stems from counterpoint.

I believe practicing counterpoint is one of the most useful techniques to write good melodies and layering them together.

Another thing is, with counterpoint, you only need 1 short idea to make a full piece. Start here if you want to start writing songs.

Last edited:
Holla, everybody, I want to start writing songs, but I have no idea how to begin.

Hey first of all, do you know how to read sheet music? If not, learning basic music theories would be my recommendation.

If you do, start watching videos on counterpoint linked in the original post. You can use chord progressions, such as 1-4-5 resolve and such, but it'll be difficult to make more complex chords with just that.

You need to start by writing a short melody, 4 bars or 8 bars, then work your way writing counterpoint underneath it. Counterpoint is just basically harmony, or alternate "melodies" in your song that you can actually stack to combine harmony.

I would suggest starting writing at Beat = Quarter Note = 128 bpm as that's common in electronic music.

C Major (without flats or sharps) is completely acceptable in writing, so start with that.

Even something as basic as "C - D - E - F" is a melody.

Back