Echo Audiofire4 over MAudio FW410

CPhoenix

CharlesAllen/ BMR Studios
I've decided to do a "semi" upgrade. I'm happy with my FW 410 from a recording quality standpoint. I get a clean enough sound out of the preamps where I can shape it and get a nice mix going. Clients are happy with the quality so far also. My issue with it is the driver performance. I don't feel they're stable enough. I came to it from a MobilePre USB solution so obviously it was a big improvement from that... but it's still not where I want it to me. I heard a click in my audio last week that really pissed me off b/c the singer lives 2 hours away and I won't be able to do a re-take. The drivers don't allow a good enough latency, i'm getting spikes in ASIO performance, etc etc. A lot of the problems I had with the MobilePre, just the Mobile's problems were exaggerated. These problems are more subtle. After doing every system performance adjustment imaginable (adjusting windows 7 settings as recommended by MAudio, Presonus-- since I use Studio One, AND random Win7 tips), I'm not happy with this driver's performance. Time to switch. My system specs are: AMD Phenom II x4 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM 500GB HD, AsRosk mobo, Radeon 5250 GPU. I don't think I should have performance issues with moderate sized projects.. or even larger projects. After reading a lot of reviews I'm looking at doing a semi-upgrade to the Echo AudioFire4, because of it's known driver stability. Literally every review I've read from users of it use the words "rock solid drivers". So I think i'm sold... unless there's something better in this price range, which I must be missing. I can't afford RME.

That brings me to my question about the AudioFire4. The only thing i'm worried about is it's stock preamps. I'm happy with my current preamps for the time being until I can afford an outboard preamp, and I don't want to feel like I'm compromising on them. Are the preamps decent enough to get quality? Do they have a clean gain? I wouldn't say FW410 are squeaky clean, but they're clean enough for me. I record on average at a level around -18db to -6db to give me enough room to work with, no lower than -24db on some parts.

I've barely turned mine off in about, what, six months? No issues whatsoever. Once it crackled a bit when I played around with the control panel, but that's about it. The preamps are certainly of comparable quality to just about anything in this price range and good enough for your basic "home studio" quality - clean & transparent, pretty good gain (though I wouldn't try driving ribbons with it), no issues with the sound.

All in all, Echo's interfaces are the unsung heroes - or rather, workhorses - in this price range. Solidly build, solid performance, no-nonsense design & great drivers.

That said, I'm on OSX - no idea how things work on Windows, but apparently it's similarly fine over there.

Yeah, I read you recommending it maybe a year or so back in a post. By then I had already bought the 410 and was marveling at how much better it was than the MobilePre. How quickly that wears off when you realize that "better" may not be quite as awesome as originally thought lol.

Thanks for making that recommendation. I went and searched for more reviews, and honestly there doesn't seem to be much better out there in terms of Firewire solutions in this price range if you're talking about stability and overall quality. A lot of people agree with you on that.

Do you have the 4 or the 8?

I have the firewire 8 Pheonix , have not have one single problem with it in years .
Also the converters have a damn good sound for the price , some might compare them to apogee .

Thanks Foggy. Yeah... now I think i'm beyond sold haha.

Final question before I make the switch. It's about the AudioFire4 vs. 8.

I spoke to a rep from Echo last night via email. I emailed info at 6:01pm, and got a response by 6:24pm. (Amazing.) I was asking if there's any difference between AudioFire4 and 8 component wise... other than the additional ins and outs. He said there isn't. But i've come to not necessarily trust people so easily lol.

Is there a different in quality/drivers/conversion/preamp between the 4 and the 8? I read somewhere that they use different parts. If this is true, i'll end up saving a few extra bucks for the 8 and deal w/ my FW410 for a few mroe weeks. But if the 4 is the exact same components like he told me, i'll just grab the 4 next week.

Last edited:
There was a thread somewhere on GS that listed the converter chipset used in the audiofire range .
At work at moment so haven't really got time to look for it .
Keep in mind that the chipset is not really the most important "part" in a way , the architecture and build have just as much if not more effect on the sound .
Will look in on this thread later when I am home .

I found that same thread yesterday somewhere on GS.

I feel like an idiot now. They have a FAQ about the converters they use. All the newer models have the same AKM converters from the AF2 thru AF12. Older models have different converters, the new models have the exact same one. I guess i CAN trust again. lol

It's purchasing time.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

Thanks for the help guys. I had a few concerns but I think i'm good now. Can't wait to grab this thing.

---------- Post added 01-25-2012 at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-21-2011 at 09:34 AM ----------

Thanks again for the help guys. It looks like I'll be able to purchase the Echo this weekend, so I'm pretty excited.

I'm contemplating between the Audiofire4 and Audiofire2 now. At first I was just going to grab the 4 b/c I have an obvious need for preamps... but I found a deal that makes things a little interesting.

I see a Studio Projects VTB-1 preamp I could grab for $80. That, plus a deal for an Audiofire2 for $120. I'd be saving between $60-$100 bucks. Only thing is, I'm not willing to sacrifice quality.

I knows it's kinda comparing cheap champagne and cheap beer lol, but which setup would you buy? The goal for me is cleaner sound. I don't need character. I can adjust the vox later in the mix. I hear the VTB is not bad at all, might be the cheapest, halfway decent preamp u can find... so it's got my braingears turning.

Ugghhh... i feel like i'm starting to over complicate things. Hate it when that happens.

Ideas?

Well, if you're content with no possibilities for external routing (unless you want to keep switching cables) and no preamps, then I guess the 2 is ok. But the 4 (which is what I have now, but I'll have to buy something with more i/o in the near future) gives you at least a few extra outputs and inputs, plus the decent pres - and I doubt the VTB would actually give you anything nicer, except of course the little savings you get.

Yeah after thinking about it more I've got my sound module that I'm gonna want to keep hooked up. So i'm not gonna go cheap.. .i'ma grab the AF4 and expand from there. If I need more, i think i read somewhere u can daisy chain em together, even an AF8 (i think). I've read so many good reviews about the VTB though that I'm gonna still grab it, but just wait until next month. Hopefully it doesn't get swiped up lol. At $80 it seems like a steal and a great "my first outboard preamp".

---------- Post added 01-28-2012 at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-26-2012 at 06:27 AM ----------

Get this.... found a used AF4 on ebay and just won the auction for $160!!! AAHHHHHHHH. This let's me grab the the AF4 and VTB too!

*Raising the roof* lol

Back