Choosing Specs for Computer to Make Music

G

Ginsingh

So i've had Pro Tools LE8 for almost 2 years now and JUST as of recently, i've started to get serious about learning how to mix. My problem is, I have a laptop with Pro Tools installed on it and I have a shitload of other programs installed too so I came to the conclusion that i'd like a dedicated computer for Pro Tools LE8 and FL Studio.

What would be some good hardware specs that would allow for smooth and relatively quick use of Pro Tools LE8 and FL Studio? To put it simply, what kind of processor and speed and how much RAM would allow for a good computer to strictly make music on?

Please take into consideration that I would like room for many addons and plugins. I recently bought Izotope Ozone 4 and it really slows stuff down on my laptop and bouncing to disk in Pro Tools slows everything else down as well so I would love to be able to also use synthesizers and great plugins without any lag.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say if you can afford it, get 4 or more cores at 3 GHz or higher. I have a computer with 1.8 GHz dual cores but it's still not enough for some complex synth VSTi's. Try to get something with a high FSB (front side bus) too. CPU speed combined with FSB speed are some factors which affect overal speed.

Back