Can't get lead synth to stand out

SUPREAM

Hi all,

I'm working on a new track, yet have been having a frustrating time trying to get the lead synth of the drop section to stand out (The machine gun sounding lead). It either seems to be entangled with the other elements of the section, and doesn't stand out clearly. I tried compressing, eq'ing, and turning up and down the volume; yet can't seem to figure it out.

Any ideas?

Here's a snippet of the section i'm talking about:
https://soundcloud.com/djsupream/drop-section/s-EZrEa

Last edited:
Brush up on your theory I'd say.
I briefly listened it on crappy laptop speakers so can't really refer to your track a lot. A well educated guess, layering and stereo effects will get you a long way. Stereo effects like doublers, mid side mastering, haas, etc. Also, placement. Is everything smack in the middle? Instruments need placement. Slight left, hard right, mid, etc.
Also, it helps if you also draw or play the same note an octave up and an octave down at the same time. That will really broaden the sound.
All music production theory 101 tbh.

It could be a mixing issue. If it is, try turning everything down except for the lead, until it stands out.

Maximize the peak-to-rms with track waveform editing. Use side chaining in rms and peak mode. Adjust the compressor settings when sound sources are being added or removed in the arrangement. Clip the master.

Compressing helps a lot, if not, I sometimes find that dampening everything else with reverb and simply duplicating the synth helps soften it all and makes the synth stand out without everything else getting drowned. Layering is always really important if you want that full sound.

Back