Buying first microphone

Epsilon-144

Musician and Producer
I'm not sure if this is the right subforum. Feel free to move it to the correct one.

I want to buy my first studio microphone/audio interface. The purpose is going to be for recording vocals (singing/rapping/story telling) over original music. I also want to record other singers and their guitar or piano. ...AND I want to record possible sample/noises out in nature or out on town. Should I use the same mic for all three or use a more durable microphone for outside?

What do you recommend for these tasks? Are there any good studio mics for around $300?

Last edited:
For things recorded in your home, you can use a single mic. Every mic will sound different, so experimentation with mic placement will be important if you are just starting off with one mic. I'd check out sweetwater.com to get some ideas as to what mics might be good (their customer service is apparently great, so utilize it if you have questions!)

For recording sounds outside I feel as if having a separate mic would be more convenient (not 100% familiar with the equipment and setup)

For things recorded in your home, you can use a single mic. Every mic will sound different, so experimentation with mic placement will be important if you are just starting off with one mic. I'd check out sweetwater.com to get some ideas as to what mics might be good (their customer service is apparently great, so utilize it if you have questions!)

For recording sounds outside I feel as if having a separate mic would be more convenient (not 100% familiar with the equipment and setup)

I'm checking it out now, thanks!

For field recording, I'd suggest getting a portable recorder. There's loads of different models at varying pricepoints, but for example the Zoom H series has been proven quite a workhorse over the years (without breaking the bank).

If you want to record mainly vocals, get a large diaphragm condenser mic.

Rode mics have a good price performance ratio. My first mic was a Rode NT2 and I still own and use it. They don't produce the NT2 anymore,though, but if you can get a used one, go for it. Also check out Studio Electronics Mics. I've never used one myself, but I read a lot of positive comments.

For field recording: What krushing said.

If you want to record mainly vocals, get a large diaphragm condenser mic.

Rode mics have a good price performance ratio. My first mic was a Rode NT2 and I still own and use it. They don't produce the NT2 anymore,though, but if you can get a used one, go for it. Also check out Studio Electronics Mics. I've never used one myself, but I read a lot of positive comments.

For field recording: What krushing said.

I have a Rode NT1 and I am 100% satisfied with it so far. Perfect for vocals AND recording instruments in a studio setting. If your set up is in a noisy environment however, you may have problems. Condensers are very sensitive to even the slightest bump (with or without shock mounts). This mic cost me just about 300 USD at a Guitar Center.

For recording outdoors you COULD use a dynamic mic if you are willing to carry your laptop and interface outside. A Shure SM57 or something like that will be just fine. They don't require phantom power and are very robust. Some mics like AKGs tend to be very bright though (hence why I avoid using them on vocals for studio recordings except in very special circumstances).

With regards to an interface I would recommend almost any basic interface with 4 inputs (xlr and TRS) except M-Audio. I am not bashing M-Audio but I have had an awful experience with the Fasttrack Pro and I am not the only one who has complained about this product. A Scarlett Focusrite like a 2i4 should be perfect. It has the XLR and TRS ports combined into one so its fairly compact. It also runs on USB power and supports MIDI (very convenient). Interfaces from Steinberg are also very good I have been told. I am actually looking to invest in one myself at some point in the future.

These are just my opinions. Do your own research and never take anyone's word for granted especially in these retail stores.

Last edited:
I have an audio technica AT2020 and it is gets the job done for a $100 but I don't know if it is best for achieving the R&B sound I've been trying to get. That said, many people really seem to like it more than I do (I don't hate it, I'm just not blown away like I thought I'd be based on reading reviews). I've also heard the AT2035 for an extra $50 dollars is good so maybe that is a better option but I wouldn't know as I've never tried it. Finally, I've heard a lot of good things about the Rode NT1 amongst guys singing R&B. So I think that will be my next mic. So yeah, check out the 3 mics I mentioned here and the mics other have mentioned. Hope this helps some.

Last edited:
I have an audio technica AT2020 and it is gets the job done for a $100 but I don't know if it is best for achieving the R&B sound I've been trying to get. That said, many people really seem to like it more than I do (I don't hate it, I'm just not blown away like I thought I'd be based on reading reviews). I've also heard the AT2035 for an extra $50 dollars is good so maybe that is a better option but I wouldn't know as I've never tried it. Finally, I've heard a lot of good things about the Rode NT1 amongst guys singing R&B. So I think that will be my next mic. So yeah, check out the 3 mics I mentioned here and the mics other have mentioned. Hope this helps some.

It does, thanks! Everyone seems to be liking the Rode NT series. I appreciate the knowledge share! yee!

Back