Buying a new laptop (or maybe desktop?)

Whiteglass

My current laptop (from 2010) has horrible specs, has a broken headphone jack, no stored battery (must be plugged in), and I believe it is on the verge of completely dying. I startup one simple VST in FL Studio and it crashes. Anyways, that leaves me trying to find a new computer. My first thought is buying a laptop because I would need one to carry around when performing live. But, I would like a desktop because they are much more performance driven. I don't want to buy both though, so I guess that leaves me back at the laptop. I am really not a computer hardware guy, so I don't know exactly what it good and what it bad. I suppose what I'm looking for the most is CPU and RAM. Once I buy the computer I don't want to have to do a bunch of upgrades, if possible. I want to stay under $1000, but if I can't find anything under I'll probably go with a Macbook Pro and make the switch to Logic (although it appears the CPU isn't that great on the Macbooks...is this true?). Anyways, some advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking at the Asus N550JV. Any opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Old HP 4gb ram
2.1 ghz
No clipping as of yet.... 1 year in
payed 180 pawn shop and mpk49 for 200 = 380
leaves you 620 for
Audio interface,monitors,

You could do better with the amount you are trying to spend but i would say don't spend it all in one place!

Back