beginner sampling question

rasol

hey guys, i was just wondering how important it is to get a sample off of vinyl or a cd as opposed to the internet. Is the quality that much better? and if you get a sample off a cd do you just burn the songs off of the cd? Thanks guys. Looking to start sampling some jazz and blues as a teach myself on the piano and guitar

can't tell you how to rip as that constitutes discussing piracy

however, consider the type of audio file you get off of the internet vs what you can sample for yourself at home

in most cases they are only mp3s of variable quality

at home you can sample at 44.124 bit or 48kHz/24 or 48/32 or whatever you want: i.e. you determine your quality

to consider:

44.1/16 =1440kbps data rate, best you can get from mp3 is 320kbps CBR

you don't

however, you are always able to seek permission to use the sample you have used, usually referred to as licensing or clearing the sample

For me it just depends on what I am sampling. It could come from wherever depending on the workflow. I do enjoy the art of recording the vinyl straight into my 2000xl. The crackling sound is like no other.

you don't

however, you are always able to seek permission to use the sample you have used, usually referred to as licensing or clearing the sample

this is something ive been wondering for a while

would it be the artist you contact or the label etc...?

i found a perfect sample for one of my tracks but highly doubt id ever be able to use it

this is something ive been wondering for a while

would it be the artist you contact or the label etc...?

i found a perfect sample for one of my tracks but highly doubt id ever be able to use it

You would have to contact both the publisher and the copyright owner. Usually these are both held by the same entity, but this is not always the case.

contact a music clearing house first of all (type that phrase into google and then select someone to make initial contact with)

For me it just depends on what I am sampling. It could come from wherever depending on the workflow. I do enjoy the art of recording the vinyl straight into my 2000xl. The crackling sound is like no other.

Yeah this is the best way to look at it. You'll get varying quality depending on compression, but in the end a digital copy can be indistinguishable as far as your ear is concerned, so trust your ear above everything else. The vinyl crackle is still an artifact from loss of audio data just like you get from digital compression, but that analog loss can actually sound really good. I love that crackle myself. There's even a built in Ableton rack just for adding a crackle. Point is trust your ear.

If you wanna teach yourself jazz and blues guitar, I have a lot of great sample libraries that you can get cheap from places like Prime Loops, Loopmasters, etc. I've been playing guitar a lot longer than I've been sampling and I'm pretty amazed at how good those isolated samples can be for building phrases you can then play on a real guitar. Also then you have the advantage of having all the keys, bass, percussion samples to build accompaniment to play along to. It's a lot of fun.

good to know, im guessing the same goes for if the sample was from say a movie or tv...?

Depends really, if it sounds good then it doesn't matter really, you can find lots of old dusty samples with tape noise online that sound amazing in context.

Back