basic list of beginner equipment?

tommy.

ive been using FL 9 pruducer xxl for a while and seriously want to start getting into acquiring equipment needed for a complete working studio. all ive got so far is a midi keyboard with a usb plug. too many options and the more i try to research equipment i need it starts to sound like things are just extras that people have. can someone help with a basic list of things i would need?

depends by what you mean by complete studio.

you need an interface first off as well as a daw program like logic or protools or if your making beats ableton is a decent starting program that you usually get a free lite version with keyboard controllers like akai mpks which also have pads for drums. studio monitors and headphones. mic if your recording plus booth headphones. I mean thats pretty basioc stuff... Need to know what your trying to do to answer that question for you.

TALENT. <--- Focus on that right there. Beat on your craft day and night. When others are sleeping, make beats. When people are going to the movies on the weekends, stay home and make beats.

Computer, Software, Headphones, Monitors. That's ALL YOU NEED.

Porter Robinson, Skrillex, Eric Prydz, Madeon, Burial and countless others are HUGE in the electronic music scene and they've used the absolute... and I mean ABSOLUTE bare minimum to make their first tracks. They tour the world now (except for Burial).

Midi controllers make things easier, but you don't need it. A good audio interface would be good, but again not needed.

Do you know what an interface does? It doesn't make music. It gives you inputs and outputs, and depending on the quality of the unit, better conversion then your computers onboard sound card.

Porter Robinson:

"This setup is actually more hi-fi than what i produced my EP Spitfire on. For that record, I used my computer's onboard soundcard and those $100 logitech consumer speakers from best buy I mentioned earlier. Again: no hardware"

He uses an interface NOW, but before making it big he didn't have one.

Me in my studio: Porter Robinson | The studio | MusicRadar.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skrillex:

At the outset, we see Skrillex alone in a hotel room, working on his music. "I make all my records in hotel rooms, pretty much," he says in a voiceover. "Just wherever I can. I've made records in car rides, if we have like a long trip to a show. All I need is my laptop and my headphones. That's all you really need I think for what I do."

Skrillex and Doors Members Release Video for 'Breakin' a Sweat' -- Watch - Spinner

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eric Prydz:

"I would say nowadays, 80% of my tracks I make on my laptop with a pair of headphones. That’s it. Or maybe 70% because I’m traveling so much, and I rarely have any time to spend in the studio. The laptop I’m using is an old crappy PC from 2004. I mean it was kind of state of the art back then; it’s kind of a custom made laptop from Frost Network, which is made for making music on it basically."

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=210693

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burial:

"I’m not a ‘musician,’ no training, nothing. So I was always scared of people who had studios. Heroes of mine like Photek suddenly became Rupert Parkes in his studio, telling everyone how he did it. The magic got a bit lost. So I thought to myself ****it I’m going to stick to this shitty little computer program, Soundforge. I don’t know any other programs. Once I change something, I can never un-change it. I can only see the waves. So I know when I’m happy with my drums because they look like a nice fishbone. When they look just skeletal as **** in front of me, and so I know they’ll sound good."

Blackdown: soundboy burial

------------------------------------------------------------------

And there you have it. It's 7:30AM and I've been up all night but hopefully you get the picture.

Last edited:
Back