Balanced mix

Daniel Carroll

What are the best ways of achieving a bright well balanced mix? I like the high end on the track 'Go (Showtek edit) the track itself sounds so well balanced. When I say balance I mean band wise. Should the bass be louder than mid and high or? I'd love the answer to this as I've been struggling so much with it lately. I can never get my track to sit right and end up with an amother unfinished project. ?

What are the best ways of achieving a bright well balanced mix?

Good room acoustics.
Good monitor speakers.
Good hearing.

As a beginner you could start working with a frequency analyser, e.g. Voxengo SPAN.

You need to have good headphones or good monitors in a treated room to get a properly balanced mix. The easiest way to get the mix balance you're looking for is to just directly reference your mix to the track you want it to sound like. So take your mix and compare the EQ spectrum to that of Showtek's Go and try to balance all the ranges evenly.

What are the best ways of achieving a bright well balanced mix? I like the high end on the track 'Go (Showtek edit) the track itself sounds so well balanced. When I say balance I mean band wise. Should the bass be louder than mid and high or? I'd love the answer to this as I've been struggling so much with it lately. I can never get my track to sit right and end up with an amother unfinished project. 

The best way of achieving a bright well balanced mix is to have it like that when you start mixing. What makes it like that before mixing, is the monitoring process during the production and recording process, if it is really really great it makes a really well balanced mix. When you start mixing, it's basically about having an even greater monitoring process than in production and recording. And when you start mastering it is about having an even greater monitoring process than in mixing. Do you understand that a really great monitoring process end-to-end can un-limit a production to a number one hit?

Everyone will have their own workflow. I personally mix as I build the track. For example, if I do not EQ the drums and add reverb/delay for them then my mind tells me there is something wrong and I can't go on.

As far as "balanced", make that your goal. You need dynamic range but make sure everything sits in its own place.

everything everyone mentioned above, and experience.

Back