Audio Interface Scarlett 6i6 causing Noise in Laptop but not in Desktop ?

iTaba

Laptop Confg: Intel® Core™ i5 Processor
Windows 8 Single Language
Display : 15.5 (39.4 cms); 1366x768
Memory : 8 GB
HDD : 500 GB

Yesterday, i consulted one of a sound engineer and he suggested to check Latency of my laptop, and it was getting more then 500 micro sec. (Below less than 100 micro sec is preferred, he stated).

So I check the Scarlett 6i6 on my Desktop (latency low than 60 micro sec), and there, no any noise was there while using the guitar chord in Interface.
So, can a latency problem makes such noise sound ?

For the noise you are getting:

What monitors are you using? ..Roket 8

Do you get the same noise through your headphones? Yes...

If you connect you headphones to one of the monitor outputs on the rear of the Scarlett do you hear the noise? Yes

Does anything effect the noise e.g mouse movement, hard disk activity etc..? No, it doesn't

Does the position of the gain pot on the input channels make any difference to the noise? No, but Increasing the Gain Increases the Noise Sound..
In Cubase, do you have the Asio driver selected for the Scarlett in the Devices Menu > Device Setup > VST Audio system? Yes

More Further Details :

* The noise occurs only when we set the Input to "Instrument" via MixControl software. Note: I have checked with various other Cables and the problems remains the same and tried in both the input ports.

* No noise occurs only when we set the Input to "Line" via MixControl software and can perfectly use Mic on both the inputs...

*. Some Unique symptoms, When i keep my hand on top of the Interface the Noise gets reduced.... Note: No earthing problem, and have checked on other Studio too.

Last edited:
Is the Scarlett's PSU connected to the same power outlet as the computer?

Btw, the latency figures are usually referred to as milliseconds, not micro. 100 microseconds of latency would be awesome (0,1ms) :D

Is the Scarlett's PSU connected to the same power outlet as the computer?

Btw, the latency figures are usually referred to as milliseconds, not micro. 100 microseconds of latency would be awesome (0,1ms) :D
My Mistake, It's actually a Millisecond not Micro. So i guess 1000 Millisecond is a big issue, Isn't it..?

Yes, Scarlett's PSU is connected to the same power outlet as the computer through same extension chord.
BDW, there is no issue on PC even-though connection is done as same for Laptop... :(

Did you take the USB connection from the laptop into consideration when ruling out the possibility of a grounding problem?
Grounding Problem ?, U mean Earthing ?.. Sorry m not getting you.. But even though, i tried My interface in different places and with different Laptop but issue remains the Same ...

Please help me out or Provide me some info to solve this out..

Ground and earth is the same thing.

Did you try unplugging your laptop and running it just on battery power?

Yes, i did that but still the Same....

While Touching The Top of the Interface (when connected with Laptop) the Noise Gets Reduced ( You can see the Drop in Gains noise and in Signal in Max Control.............. Please See and Reply me as soon as possible.....

See the Video Sample....

The fact that the noise goes away when you touch it leads me to believe there is a grounding issue.
I hope you are right, but even after pulling out the Laptop power cable the Noise remains the same.. :cry:

So, what you suggest ?... Any hint.. or link to tutorial.....

Thanks..for the video... I'm looking to it.

But one more Question, If there is surely a grounding problem then Why there is no any effect on DESKTOP why the Audio interface is making Noise only in Laptop?...
Keeping in mind that, Laptop and desktop share the same circuit and connection..????

Back