Anybody ever feel bad about looping something?

IMHO, and this is not directed at anyone here, the anti loopers don't really have a leg to stand on. At the end of the day the person isn't working with your music. At the end of the next day you didn't actually play the loop you chopped into a billion and one pieces, so you can't say this guy is wrong for how he used it.

We gotta stop letting "others" tell "us" what and what not to do. Others will say "they just loop stuff up and call it a beat." Look, if that gives good results, go for it. We need to focus more on the finish product instead of how it was made. Looped or chopped, if it's good, it's good.

Bra do you, keep practicing your looping you'll be a master at it one day.
I'll concentrate more on flips and blending different samples together...and of course my mix game and fx modulation.
Tryna stand out one way or another.

I havent used a loop in 10 years. One of my best beats is a loop that I made 10 years ago when I first started making beats. Personally I rather chop samples and manipulate them with speed and pitch changes rather than loop a part of a record. Looping a record takes minimal effort but sometimes the loop is so hot, you gotta loop it. I have no beef with obscure loops as long as you're not looping "Rick James Superfreak" like Diddy use to do with all them terrible popular songs he looped back in the day.(see rapper Mase). Many of you are probably too young to remember The Trackmasters. I hated their commercial azz loops.

Last edited:
One of my best beats is a loop. Personally I rather chop samples and manipulate them with speed and pitch changes rather than loop a part of a record.

I don't understand this logic.

Are you trying to make good music or difficult music?

Last edited:

Actually just be myself and go wherever that takes me. The thread asked for each individual's opinion on looping. I'm not trying to convince others just stating what makes me tick. That's why producers have different styles. It's all about individual expression. Dont waste your time trying to understand everyone's logic. Everyone thinks different. Save that headache for when you get married. Just concentrate on your own. I used to spend countless hours looking for loops to sample. Most soul records have been used and reused. I learned to chop and manipulate parts of a record so that it wouldnt sound like the same loop everyone else used. Looping samples was the way to go years ago but those records have been used so much chopping the samples lets you resuse those same records again. That's why i said obscure loops are fine but taking a popular diana ross record isnt. There's a fat underground producer named Eric Vanderslice. Check him out on youtube. He has some hot shit, alot of rock and library loops. He's able to find those obscure loops no one's used. It's harder in Soul though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3svWC7TApBk

Last edited:
+1 with Lilro. After reading through this entire post, I'm curious to know whether you guys make beats for artists, instrumental albums/songs, or are you making beats for beat battles? I've been producing Hip Hop since 1988 and I've seen production go through a lot of changes, but whether to loop or chop shouldn't be something to argue about. Those of us who are in the Culture of Hip Hop and have the Knowledge, Wisdom, and Understanding know that it each serves its intended purpose. We chopped samples to make them fit and quantize correctly and then we started chopping kicks and snares to make our own patterns. These techniques were developed for those specific reasons. I've seen arguements about sampling verses keyboard beats but never something like chopping vs looping, Really? In order for Hip Hop Culture to survive (Not the industry) but the culture to survive you have to put away petty arguments about nothing. Know your facts, respect the elders of the culture, and push forward. On a side note, just like most trap beats sound alike, I noticed that a lot of the chopped beats are sounding alike also. Different samples, same chop patterns. Chopping just for the sake of chopping serves no purpose to the finished product. It is about the musicality of the composition and the context and application in which the techniques are used. Peace be with you.............Rob Mixx

Actually just be myself and go wherever that takes me. The thread asked for each individual's opinion on looping. I'm not trying to convince others just stating what makes me tick. That's why producers have different styles. It's all about individual expression. Dont waste your time trying to understand everyone's logic. Everyone thinks different. Save that headache for when you get married. Just concentrate on your own. I used to spend countless hours looking for loops to sample. Most soul records have been used and reused. I learned to chop and manipulate parts of a record so that it wouldnt sound like the same loop everyone else used. Looping samples was the way to go years ago but those records have been used so much chopping the samples lets you resuse those same records again. That's why i said obscure loops are fine but taking a popular diana ross record isnt. There's a fat underground producer named Eric Vanderslice. Check him out on youtube. He has some hot shit, alot of rock and library loops. He's able to find those obscure loops no one's used. It's harder in Soul though.

Vanderslice Beats Fall Update - YouTube

I know you're not trying to convince anyone. I'm just confused. If one of your hottest beats in the last 10 years is a loop, why did you completely abandon looping? I'm not saying looping is better, I chop most of the time. But both have their place IMO.

Last edited:
I know you're not trying to convince anyone. I'm just confused. If one of your hottest beats in the last 10 years is a loop, why did you completely abandon looping? I'm not saying looping is better, I chop most of the time. But both have their place IMO.

I dont loop because I have mostly dollar soul records and I had difficulty constantly finding new samples to loop. Most of the records I was purchasing for a buck had been used and abused. It takes time, dedication and luck in getting good samples. I got really lucky on that one record. I actually looped it from a television theme compilation cd. The best parts of the record I like sampling usually have vocals so I chop the sample rather than loop it and create a melody from the different chops. I find most of the good loops in other genres. I did have some good dollar soul records years ago that I accumulated over the years but I sold them in college when i was desperate for cash. I regret it now. Chopping samples allows me the ability to reuse records that everyone used but still put my own signature to it. Finding the right records to loop takes way more time and effort. That's why I referenced Vanderslice. I love his ear and he obviously has the time to do it. The fact that he's so overweight benefits his record digging. It's hard for him to be mobile so he sits most of the day listening to records and making beats. In that one video, I posted above, he did say though that he spent over 1000 dollars for one record he looped at the end. What's the most you've ever paid for a record?

Last edited:

WOW. This is a ****ing incredible quote, anyone that's ever tried to say another piece of music was bad because 'they're not actually playing the instruments' or they're 'just pressing buttons on a computer'. DO YOU WANT DIFFICULT MUSIC OR GOOD MUSIC? Difficult music =/= good music.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is if someone likes it enough to pay for it. The ends justify the means. And if you say it's not about the money but the art and music do two things: 1.) sign over all your rights to me 2.) Stop trying to limit the next mans perception and interpretation of art and music.

Last edited:
Back