And the winner is...?

Koisanx

Hi - I'm the new guy..wazup!

This discussion is as old as Atari.. which DAW is best? The slant I propose is to actually mention the functionality that sets these tools apart... no useless raving about nothing please..been there, done that. ;)

For example; the only 2 DAWs with built pitch correction (Melodyne-like) is Sonar and Cubase. (of course I could be wrong..would not be the 1st time..ha)

So immediately that would set them apart for working with vocals...yes?

C'mon Pro Tools users - a few years ago you were being told that 48bit fixed 'sounds' better - many discussions actually showed how popular this notion was... and now that PT has joined the rest of the DAW world with 32bit float processing.. reason to toss it out? :D

Hi - I'm the new guy..wazup!

This discussion is as old as Atari.. which DAW is best? The slant I propose is to actually mention the functionality that sets these tools apart... no useless raving about nothing please..been there, done that. ;)

I don't think that is enough of a slant to justify yet another thread about which is best. If you've actually read any of the other threads then you would realize that every DAW will do a go job. All of them have different strengths and weaknesses. It's all about picking the one that you like the most and mastering that program. Starting another thread about which is best is about as useless as tits on a bull.

Heck I love these threads. LOL What else is actually interesting? They don't ever solve anything, but it's interesting to discuss the merits of one program vs another. People get heated about it, but at least some people might learn something useful. But realistically, we don't all value the same things. I place a very high value on how flexible a program is with key commands. Once I get past being attracted to or repulsed by the interface, the next thing I look for is powerful custom key commands. If either of those is not happening, I will generally feel motivated to uninstall and keep moving.

I also hate programs that try to force everything into a single window but other people love that kind of thing. So which is best. In this case it must be true that what's best is only best for me.

What about stability? Stability should be at the very top of anyone's list who is actually looking to get something done. No matter how great the feature set and work flow is, it has to be stable or you are wasting time and in some cases, money. Interestingly, the program with the very best reputation for extreme stability has also been the one with the smallest feature set. Reason. LOL

At any rate. I like Cubase. I like it because in my opinion, it has almost everything I need implemented in a very serious way. It's missing some cool stuff I see in other sequencers for sure. There's always something else to catch my eye. Some of the new ideas in Studio One are excellent. There was a time when I would have dropped money on StudioOne just because of that. But it never took long to realize that I'd also left behind a ton of stuff that are unique to Cubase. No one program has it all. They all have a set of things that they do better than the rest.

So I don't really think that anything is truly better. We just have to understand what is most important to ourselves as individuals. There are some 'must have' features for me. Without those, I won't consider a piece of software at all. I like a single big package that does it all or 98%. Some people don't mind "producing in Reason" then mixing in Pro Tools, etc. I want to do everything in Cubase and it is very good at that in my opinion. The weakest link in the chain is ALWAYS me.

Last edited:
Daffy_Duck_7_S.gif

[In Daffy Voice]

Cubase. Why? Because eventually all of the other ones will end up being a Cubase wanna be......ain't that right Reason and Pro Tools? Just because it has a cute name doesn't mean it's a break through feature. Cubase....no "logic"al thinking or "reason"ing needed.....just good common sense. No duity poops please. No Blo foolz. And why in the hell would I use a program called reaper? Shit scares me......can't work late at night using it.

I don't think that is enough of a slant to justify yet another thread about which is best. If you've actually read any of the other threads then you would realize that every DAW will do a go job. All of them have different strengths and weaknesses. It's all about picking the one that you like the most and mastering that program. Starting another thread about which is best is about as useless as tits on a bull.

Here's what I've gleaned from threads on this topic - no actual detail of merit. Yes - all DAW's can record and mix.

The $$$ is spent on software details have minor and major impact on how we users achieve our end goal. e.g. prior to the built-in auto-tuning facility, required that every DAW user to purchase a plug-in; in fact in most cases this is still the case - so NO - DAWs are not identical and probably will never be; as in the case of all competitive engineering - its very interesting to note how things change?

If the net result is the challenging of myth and the discovery of something unknown about this very important tool - great!:cool:

---------- Post added at 03:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

Heck I love these threads. LOL What else is actually interesting?

What about stability? Stability should be at the very top of anyone's list who is actually looking to get something done.

Agree on both counts.. hehe.

One has to be fair though - many newbies have everything but the kitchen sink installed on their machines and then moan about 'stability'...

This is something that within a complex software enviroment of drivers, plugins and OS can hardly be seen as the OEM of the DAW's responsibilty? :hmmm:

Back