Akai MPC 5000 Q/A

why not just post the link to the os update? lol.... or the exerpt from the manual...
lol p.s. i like xbox way more, maybe less powerful but much better support and games and internet setup, did i just take that to far... lololololol!
oh an jahrome i know your a man of your word (as you've been on here as long if not longer than I) so I'll ask ya. between your mv and your 5000 wich workflow do you find to be more productive (this is a very subjective question) the mv seams to have a more impressive ability set but i love my mpc 2kxl's workflow so much....

Last edited:
Bananasass said:
As I said, there is no special note or something in my manual stating there's some kind of mandatory update before everything will work... all I said.

I talked to some of the Akai promo people banging on the MPC5k on some shows, I've talked to sales people, some beta testers even , hence why I know it basically was a simple mix-up of release candidate versions with a beta version..

Is it really this difficult to understand? Every manual says check the site for updates... I usually do so when I have issues, I'm looking for stability, not necessarily having the latest update. Again, I just expected the device to at least work out of the box. 52 bugs (they told me it were 54 actually) is not exactly what I expected, especially with 4 annoying show-stopping bugs that caused my problems in the first place.

It would only have made sense if they would have noted somewhere that firmware 1.0 is bugged and that you need firmware 1.01.

Also, in the world of software version 1.0 basically means 'suitable for release'... sorry but 52 bugs is NOT acceptable for a 1.0 version. If it weren't a mix-up, they should have delayed the release of the product. I literally had it the first day it was out...

I agree.
It doesn't matter what date you claimed you received the MPC..that fact remains that the update was already available.

I know what you wrote because you posted it several times. You wrote that you needed the manual to say 'mandatory update'. The manual states to check for an update. How can you not understand what that means? That is not a complex statement. You say that you own MPC 4000s. If this is the case, you should know very well to check Akai's website for OS updates. The MPC 4000 had numerous issues when it was released. And still has some. This is well documented. With that being the case..you wouldn't visit the website to see if there was an updates to the new MPC? Again the MPC 5Ks update was there before you got your MPC. Honestly, I don't believe you actually own any MPC based upon everything you wrote. If you actually owned an MPC or did any research, you would know to check for an update to see if there are any bugs that will hinder your work flow.

I really believe you are in this thread as a 'troll' as they say around internet forums. I simply can't believe anyone who can read on an 8th grade level could misunderstand the introduction in the MPC 5Ks manual.

As far as you claim that you talked to Akai employees about there being a mix-up with the OS releases...I will get back to you regarding that statement. As far as you stating that software 1.0 means suitable for release...please name one product that was released as 1.0 that didn't have numerous bugs.

Also..if you actually own the MPC 5K..I challenge you to post a bug that you have found with the new OS. And not one that I already written about.

flux302 said:
why not just post the link to the os update? lol.... or the exerpt from the manual...
lol p.s. i like xbox way more, maybe less powerful but much better support and games and internet setup, did i just take that to far... lololololol!
oh an jahrome i know your a man of your word (as you've been on here as long if not longer than I) so I'll ask ya. between your mv and your 5000 wich workflow do you find to be more productive (this is a very subjective question) the mv seams to have a more impressive ability set but i love my mpc 2kxl's workflow so much....

Of course that is a very subjective answer. If you love that workflow of an MPC 2KXL, you will feel right at home with an MPC 5K in no time at all. But if you want more stability and more impressive features right now...the choice is the MV-8800 or even an MPC 4000. It is too early in the game for the MPC 5000 for the average user. As anyone that has been around these forums for several years know...I buy these machines as soon as they are released and write about them. For good or bad, you will only get straight talk from me.

Last edited:
jahrome said:
It doesn't matter what date you claimed you received the MPC..that fact remains that the update was already available.
Perhaps it was available, perhaps it wasn't... I sure as heck did not immediately find any hint about it back then. You can blame me all you want, but it's not really my fault.... As with any gear I just expect it to work acceptably, 52 bugs and no telling the user that they MUST update is just wrong...

I know what you wrote because you posted it several times. You wrote that you needed the manual to say 'mandatory update'. The manual states to check for an update. How can you not understand what that means? That is not a complex statement. You say that you own MPC 4000s. If this is the case, you should know very well to check Akai's website for OS updates. The MPC 4000 had numerous issues when it was released. And still has some.
I did read the manual.. I thought you were talking about some kind of 'mandatory update' note in it, which my manual doesn't have. Yours apparently not either. I did read the general 'check for updates' statements, but regardless of that I expect things to work out of the box.
I don't need it to say 'mandatory update' at all, but they should have just made sure that the product worked... not ONLY after some OS update which was basically the case. I'm not going to explain this again... it's futile.

As for the MPC4K, yes but all the more reason to complain, because a good company would have freaking learned from the past... Akai apparently doesn't.

Also..if you actually own the MPC 5K..I challenge you to post a bug that you have found with the new OS. And not one that I already written about.

Dude you talk about it, as if finding a bug is a good thing. Wtf.. Anyways I'm not interested in proving anything, but if I bump into any bugs, sure I'll report them... to Akai that is. In fact I could show numerous photographs of my studio, but it would ruin my anonimity here, so I won't. I'm not in here to show I got the biggest balls or longest dck, I'm long past that stage.

I really believe you are in this thread as a 'troll' as they say around internet forums. I simply can't believe anyone who can read on an 8th grade level could misunderstand the introduction in the MPC 5Ks manual.
Lol, you better read up on Wiki what a 'troll' is, because I sure as hell ain't one... Also, read back this freaking thread, I did not even start the freaking argument. Your fanboy feelings apparently got hurt when I made a comparison, big deal.. For real though, I'm not even out to fight.

As far as you claim that you talked to Akai employees about there being a mix-up with the OS releases...

No, you've misunderstood. I did talk to Akai employees as well, but I talked to beta testers who told me it was a mix-up of a beta version they knew and had worked with.

Last edited:
Blame on you? Naw. You are the only person I have come across that actually claimed they purchased the MPC 5K and ran into bugs because they didn't realize there was an update. The update was posted not only on Akai's website, but this forum, the MPC Forum, the MV Forum, and Gear Slutz Forum. With all the dialog on the internet and your statement that you did research...nobody would believe an intelligent person who spends thousands of dollars on a product that they researched..miss this info. I read the same thing you claimed you read and done the same research...but came up with very different results. So since you didn't get it this time..next time you spend thousands of dollars on a device that runs on software that can be upgraded.do yourself a favor and check the website for an update. You will live alot longer.

I will me waiting for you to actually post an issue that you ran into when you actually used OS 1.01. If you used it as you say you have, you should be able to post this info in the thread.

Last edited:
I am still using it, but as I said before, I report bugs to Akai.. not to you just to prove something. I'm not here to prove who I am and especially not what I got, you should really grow up and get over this.

Also, you are not a genius because you updated before I did... after all eventually I did update ;) and all in all it took only one day. As I've explained before though, the issues simply cost me money, so yeah .. of course I wasn't too happy! Only a fool wouldn't understand that.

do yourself a favor and check the website for an update. You will live alot longer.
Contrary to what you might do.. I won't ever kill myself because I can't figure out a device or get it to work. Did it cause stress? Yes, perhaps a little bit, but it's not the end of the world. It probably didn't even influence my blood pressure. Regardless, it still doesn't give you the right to say I may not ever complain about Akai or something.. which is basically what you did. Regardless of how this is not the place to complain, something I fully agree with.

Also I see you've completely ignored my comment about how Akai should have learned from the MPC4K and it's bugs when released.

nobody would believe an intelligent person who spends thousands of dollars on a product that they researched..miss this info.
Lol, don't talk to me about money.. I got plenty of that. I intend to keep it that way and I don't like losing money. You do know that THAT'S the way to get rich, right? Not losing money? You get rich a lot quicker when you don't lose money over stupid issues. As said, you seem to blame this on ME alone, where I blame it mainly on Akai. It's a point of view kind of thing, but in the end... to bring up your money argument, I expected more from Akai for 3 grand.

Ohh by the way, I never said I missed any info, nor did I. I did read the general statements about registering and checking the website, I just never would have thought that they had screwed up on the release candidate version so bad.

Last edited:
This is starting to look real bitchmade now...back to the mpc 5000 and get off this lame tangent...makes this thread is now full of pointless clutter.

Focused said:
This is starting to look real bitchmade now...back to the mpc 5000 and get off this lame tangent...makes this thread is now full of pointless clutter.
This thread is pretty much useless. I started this to give actual useful info but there isn't many people around here that are actually interested...which is the only reason why I continued this dialog with Bananasass.

@Bananasass
So you claim you have nothing to prove? Well, that is what you have been trying to do for the past several weeks here. From your comments, you are not a businessman or just poor business man. How can anyone with any business or technical know how lose money from using an MPC? You have customers sitting in your bedroom watching you make a track and then get upset and leave after your MPC crashed? :confused: This is among the funniest things I have read around here. By the way...you get rich by making smart moves. You didn't do that. You did research on a $3000 machine on the internet and made a purchased based off of a demo on You Tube. Now you want to cry about it? And to the wrong people? Not very businessman-like. Especially when you claim you have an MPC 4K and MV whose specs/features outshine the 5K. You look silly every time you posts this info. I know you said you are not trying to prove anything, but you are not adding to your credibility in this forum. A sucker is born every minute. A fool and his money will soon be parted...or something like that. Both phrases which some up your experience and business methods. Not a diss but simply the truth.

So....with all that said...what is your purpose here in this forum and this thread? Are you here to share useful info about the 5K? Or are you hear to educate the forum how to not spend their money? Or something else? If you are here to talk about the MPC 5K...I am still waiting. Because nothing you have written is evidence that you actually own or use one. For your information...forum members that find bugs with products they actually own usually share them so we can come up with work-arounds / tips. There is no other reason for you to be here if you are not willing to do that.

Hi Jahrome,

I'm an MPC 60/3000 user and would like a modern drum machine for use as a synth and sample workstation.

I'm torn between the MPC 5000 and MV8800 and just wanted to know:

1. Can the MPC 5000 do the realtime pitch/time stretching and auto chopping like the MV?

2. How do the EFX stack up to the MV and does it have the Bit crusher effect?

3. Is the synth any good and can I access the sounds quickly like a sound module?

4. Is there a backlight display off switch?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Can I load my ALL_SEQS&SONGS.ALL from my MPC1000 to my MPC5000 (can i play an entire song I made on just my MPC1000 on 5000? I tried and it did not work, but I read from Akai that the 5000 was compatible with the 1000. Thanks

Last edited:
Can I load my ALL_SEQS&SONGS.ALL from my MPC1000 to my MPC5000 (can i play an entire song I made on just my MPC1000 on 5000? I tried and it did not work, but I read from Akai that the 5000 was compatible with the 1000. Thanks

I tried this and it works the only thing thats different is the EFX.

Back