A little help here!

djzip

Wow... where to start?
I've been into making music since this summer. I've never taken music nearly as seriously as I do now. Right now I'm studying music theory, piano, and voice in college. I really want to be a DJ but I need to know a few things about it I haven't been able to find on the internet. I've been working with Rebirth and some other stuff and am really looking forward to Reason. I'm working on purchasing some decks and a guitar too.
It may seem stupid to ask, but how does one actually DJ? I'm in Detroit which is a big scence for electronic music and I listen in on the radio but what do the DJs I see advertised as performing at raves actually do? Do they just spin records of other people's music? Do they spin their own records and if so where do they get them? Do they have full sets of equipment including synthesizers, samplers, and drum machines? I know people like Paul Van Dyk, Danny Tenaglia, and others mix their own music but how do they perform it?
I just need a little info. about how DJs perform and how to get started. It seems like many DJs have come out of the same mold hence the specific styles such as trance and techno. Where does all this come from? I've learned so much about the history of electronic music and what defines different styles, but I really want to know how it all is done. It's not like I can take lessons in school about the kind of music that is at raves and rock concerts. Please help me if you've actually taken the time to read all of this. Sorry if I typed your eyes off.

Well. A DJ is a person mixing or playing other peoples music.
What you probably want to be is a composer rigth?

Back