where can I find samples and plugins?

coffeepep

Hey! I'm coffeepep :) I'm producing some tropical house stuff and now I want to know where can I find some samples and plugins to produce tropical ^^

I'm not sure as well of the music structure, can you help me with that ? I mean, can you list (just if you want) what type of instruments should I use, for example, drums, pads, synths etc. I just want to produce something really good :)

Thank you in advice!!!!

I'll be perfectly honest with you...I have no idea what tropical house music sounds like....(lol)
But I don't need to.

With regards to your first question, samples can be found EVERYWHERE...and I mean everywhere.
Some websites have some really great stuff. If you google for example "royalty free tropical house sample packs", I'm sure you will get something. But if you are not getting what you want, here's another option: make your own :D
It doesn't matter weather you are using the default plugins in your DAW or recording real sounds. Be unique with your sampling because the sample packs you get online will be the same ones being used all around the world by other producers. Don't be afraid to experiment a little.

As for your second question,
You asked what "should" you use. Don't limit yourself like that. I used to scour the web for the best plugins humankind had to offer (I work in the box mainly). I realized I can make amazing sounds with the forgotten synthesizer that came with my DAW.
If you want suggestions however, sylenth1 is a really good synthesizer. Massive is amazing but quite pricey. Drums and pads don't need to be marked "tropical house samples" on them for you to use it in your music. Nobody will hunt you down for using a hip-hop pack :P
But google really is your best friend. Keywords like "list of free.." will help expand your search.

Happy producing :)

(edit: free synths will pop up with a simple search...trust me)

Last edited:
Starting out, a very good source of curated samples and plugins is the Bedroom Producer's Blog. Large archive of samples in many different genres, as well as an extensive list of synths, effects, etc.

As far as structure, tropical house came from deep house, but has a more upbeat, happy vibe - more major than minor key, less complex chord structure. Synths, drum machines, samplers, etc all make their presence known, with spice from traditinal tropical instruments such as steel drum.

find a nice movie with scenes of tropical places.
sample a few sounds.
use an expander to get those samples ultra clean.

as for drum samples,
dig into old house classics,
they almost all got a clean drum section inside the track.

sampling is not illegal as long as you sample just really small bits,
no one will ever find out.

and when you make money of a track,
buy some used gear that has a sound that comes close.

easy does it.

every real studio has the knowledge to create just about any sound using effect that belong to the basic setup of a decent studio.
they can write you a midi track after you made a hit.

just go wild and make something people will remember,
when you do,
there will be a lot of people who want to make some money of you by helping you out to get the legal pieces together,
don't worry about that.

Last edited:
Hey! I'm coffeepep :) I'm producing some tropical house stuff and now I want to know where can I find some samples and plugins to produce tropical ^^

I'm not sure as well of the music structure, can you help me with that ? I mean, can you list (just if you want) what type of instruments should I use, for example, drums, pads, synths etc. I just want to produce something really good :)

Thank you in advice!!!!

Although everyones advice has been pretty good, and creative... what you really want to do is visit Beatport Sounds
Beatport runs that site and is basically where all the pros (in your arena) get their samples from! Simply type in 'Tropical House' in the search bar and your good!

In regards to synths, test out a bunch.. find out what you like! I don't have any friends who produce Tropical, but I would imagine Sylenth would be pretty good!

Check out pluginboutique.com - there's tons of great effects and sounds on there that I use regularly

Back