Thread: What are YOUR best tips?

Thanks

What are YOUR best tips?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Share your tips with the rest of us. What have you learned that has helped you develop as a producer. Let's try to make a collection of these tips from the FutureProducer.com users. It'll be like our collection of tips for helping everyone who visits this website. These tips can be anything about music and/or production.
    (If I can edit this first post, I'll start building a list of tips (with your user name, and tip). ...)

For me,

1. Don't rush a song
    2. Don't overuse the good parts

I think an important tip is not rushing a project, when you're learning. Once you have the knowledge and skill to pump out a track fairly quickly you can, ...but it's still not recommended (unless you're DJ Quik). It is always better to take your time and fine tune everything. Work on the details of the track. Once the broad "outline" or "sketch" of the track is laid down, go back through and run more and more fine detail into the song. I think sometimes, the fine little details that only occur once or twice in a song bring the listeners back to hear the song again.
    Don't overuse the exciting parts. There's a reason why a solo only occurs once in a song. It's the exciting/special part and shouldn't be overplayed.

What are your best tips? Hopefully we get some good ideas flowing here.
    Last edited by Epsilon-144; 04-18-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Thanks
    1-Listen to a lot of music, inspired but not copied.
    2-Experiment
    3-Enjoy
    I know they may seem obvious, but not all of them follow this.
    My 2 cents
    #NOTYPEBEATS, but just vibes.
    My beats: https://goo.gl/b8fr60

Thanks
    go to the beat of your own drum and do your own thing, don't copy other producers

Thanks
    Create what you personally enjoy listening and dont bend your sound to fit into a particular genre or type

Thanks
    The most important tip that I could give would be to take your time, Watch alot and alot of tutorials so you can see what your doing either wrong or right. Also watch alot of producers that you listen to make there own music in the studio if they have a tutorial available online. Also another thing to do which I did do alot was to walk away from your track for like a day or two and then come back to it again later so you can get a different perspective of your track. Honestly this helps alot sense we do kind of get ear fatigue.

Thanks
    Fun & consistency

Thanks
    1. live healthy - so you can give the best of you
    2. be consistent
    3. take a break when you get stuck and feel lack of concentration
    4. before starting a project, get an idea what you want to make and stick to it

Thanks
    Know that the music business is more of the latter than the former but music is not to be solely an assembly line product.
    "Rap is only one end of a whole spectrum of verbal play and virtuosity. Rap is geared for aural pleasure." Rita Dove

"A discerning person keeps wisdom in view, but a fool's eyes wander to the ends of the earth"

Thanks
    Lol, I'm gonna go against the grain here (that's tip #1 right there) and say:
    -rushing can be great
    -as is imposing limitations on yourself.
    -all classics were made on much simpler equipment than you can download for free on your home PC nowadays.
    -tools are just tools, the creativity is what you put into it

Not to say you don't need to know your craft, put the time in to hone it and properly finish your material... but I'm at my most creative when under pressure and having to work with
    limited means. A lot of people are. It's an ability you can train: conceptualise, commit to ideas quickly and learn to rely on your intuition. Technical skills and musical knowledge help with building that intuition,
    but they can never take that place. May sound very counter-creative, but it isn't... it's invaluable. What it does is make you good at generating and executing on ideas.. that's an important skill to have. It allows you to
    get them out there, see what work, see what doesn't, iterate on it and see how people respond to it. Your first rushes are gonna sound like utter crap, of course.. and maybe they won't be your final tracks at all..
    doesn't matter.. it's good training. GET GOOD AT IDEAS!

-work with other people, duh.. if you're solo in the studio all the time you can forget that music = community and what you're, in fact, doing as a musician is communicating with other people. Having
    brilliant ideas is cool, be able to get them across is another thing entirely. Arguably much more important nowadays.

-be a student of musical history: know the sounds, know where they're from, what they represent, how they were made... find amazing music you never thought possible. It's fun.
    lwj - local space music

Thread Information