Underruns in FL Studio/Freezing

Walker9

Hi all,
This probably gets mentioned a lot but how can i significantly reduce under runs in fl studio. The problem is that I will be working away without any problems and then once i add a second synthesiser or a plugin which fl studio doesn't like the track I will be working on will freeze and the synthesiser will also freeze. The project will go from about 10 under runs and jump to 97 under runs, this happens very frequently and it is very difficult to produce when this keeps happening. I have tried doing the usual which everyone recommends such as changing the audio settings but this never works, I have 2 good sound cards and this happens using both of them so I know its not the sound card, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
What is the cpu
the sound cards
the ram
the harddrive speed also affects an os a lot, 7200rpm minimum recommended.
the plugin is probably heavy?

read a few articles also saying wifi/ethernet can cause random stutters too.

This is all the info i could find:
CPU Intel Pentium 3.40GHz 3.39 GHZ (2 CPU's)
Installed memory RAM 4.00 GB
4096MB RAM
Hard drive -5900 RPM (too slow?? Do I need to install a new hard drive?)
6540MB available
64 bit OS
Scarlett Focusrite solo sound card
Processor sub score 4.9
RAM sub score 5.1
Disk transfer rate 5.9

I have noticed that it only freezes when i insert certain synthesizers such as sylenth and serum, as soon as I play anything on them the project instantly freezes

Last edited:
You've got quite low settings, try adding a few Gb of memory and changing your HDD for a SDD, they are really more affordable that it used to be.

Also, when I had an old laptop that was similar to your one, I used to put too many VST's which made FL Studio freeze easily. Try avoiding CPU-consuming VST's and replace them with more CPU-friendly ones, if you will.

Thanks for the advice I have bought a 240gb ssd drive and I will purchase some more ram. Would it be wise to get a new 7200rpm hard drive also for around £30 or will this not make a difference since I will be installing the ssd drive?

Have you tried demos of other daws to see if it's the program or the computer?
I've used fl studio for 4 years till 2014 but I remember seeing something in a wrench with keyboard focus.

Maybe that particular daw [which version] does not fully acclimate to those plugins.

Thanks for the advice I have bought a 240gb ssd drive and I will purchase some more ram. Would it be wise to get a new 7200rpm hard drive also for around £30 or will this not make a difference since I will be installing the ssd drive?

Just 4Gb more of RAM should be way enough for most of the stuff. Buying a 7200rpm HDD could be good to store in your FL studio librairies, samples, projects, VSTs etc, and leave free space on your SSD. I do this and it works well, plus if one disk comes to die you won't lose everything (even better if you keep a copy of important files on both of them or on an external drive). I'd recommand a 1To HDD so you have enough space for a while.

Last edited:
My files would freeze a lot after putting a lot of material into them as well. However, I was using a laptop that had a bad battery and required a charger all the time to function. I also noticed my FL starts to lock up when my new laptop battery drops under 5%. So putting two together, I figured out that FL starts to freeze up when the battery is low. Weird...but it's just something I found.

Back