tip for Ableton users

calimoose

Found this on reddit here. Might be common sense for some Ableton users, or it just might blow your mind :) enjoy:

"Take your main folder where you store all your projects and add it to your library on the left side. From there you can access each project's ALS file and access each individual channel and drag over just that channel into your new project. You don't have to save your synth patches and drum racks anymore. Just drag them out from your previous project and onto a new channel. It will bring over the EQ, reverbs and all over FX with it along with the MIDI notes."

I should've shared that in the other Ableton thread. I've remixed so much of my music that way. Only limitation is if its a multi out vst instrument and your using say channel 2-16. Recycling melodies and drum loops for projects I see a better fit. There is even a way to get all your vsts organized by shortcuts and folders in the browser. I haven't done it though because I kept my installations very organized.

When I found out about this yesterday, got a great idea and it worked perfect!
I networked my Macbook and Windows desktop together and imported the network folder(project files+samples) from my Mac into Ableton on my PC.
Now I can import samples/tracks I have on my Macbook into my desktop seamlessly with one click!

Glad y'all liked that tip. Now whenever you come across a quick tip or good read, post it on the User Contributions forum! The rest of FP is for discussions, but User Contributions is for straight-to-the-point resources that you found useful and you think might help others who are in your shoes.

So happy lots of you guys found this useful. Honestly half of music production is wading through useless bullshit to find advice that actually makes sense to you.

Back