Rap vocal technique

tvanbaden

Just wanted to say hello! I'm new on the boards and wanted to share a quick tip I use to record/mix rap vocals.

I have some good GIK-acoustics bass traps on stands and put them around the singer. This works great.

I found that when I use a natural sounding mic the sibilance isn't to problematic and good acoustic treatment helps with this to because it cancels comb-filtering.

In the mix I really like the r-comp on opto mode. It really keeps a rap vocal on its place and it has a smooth sound to it. I use the clariphonic parallel EQ a lot as a hardware unit to make the top sound smooth I have to be careful because it can get noisy.

They have a plugin too and I A/Bd it a couple of times with the hardware. Really worth it! I have gotten the plugin and sold the hardware piece eventually... I now use the plugin a lot.

If I have a lot of boxy sound in the recording I use that new plugin from Manny in the Waves bundle. Before that plugin came out I really had to work hard to fix that sound because those formants slip trough eq or the eq thins out the vocal too much.

Hope it was useful!

Back