Quick question...

WillDarling

Will Darling @EDMtips.com
Hey guys...I started a blog to help music producers a few months ago and someone's suggested I should put together a course, but I don't really know what to include. I was wondering, If you could only purchase one course for the next year (on the topic of music production), and it could only teach you 3 things . . what would those three things be?

Also, if anyone would be willing to let me briefly interview them (just through FB messages or whatever) so I can pick your brain, please let me know - it would be much appreciated!

Cheers :cheers:

It goes back to what I was discussing with you awhile back, Will-- What are _your_ areas of expertise, and what do you feel that you bring to the table that might be unique?

If you have music production and audio gold and platinum secrets to share, then by all means, we (the collective production world) are definitely waiting for you. But there is already sooooo much information out there, and sooooo many opinions, that I think it's somewhat confusing for those just getting started, and maybe there isn't as much need for another "This is how to use Sylenth," or "This is what a compressor does" tutorial.

I'm not sure what your expertise and forte are, but I know a lot of people would be interested in topics that would help them actually generate paying work, so proven business strategies, marketing, and things like that will always do well. As I'm always telling folks-- "After 30+ years of doing this stuff, I don't need to build resume. I need a check that doesn't bounce!" So if you have any really successful ideas regarding business models, tapping into new clientele, etc., etc., that would be a no-brainer.

If you want to interview/discuss, PM me and we can figure-out when something like that might happen.

GJ

It goes back to what I was discussing with you awhile back, Will-- What are _your_ areas of expertise, and what do you feel that you bring to the table that might be unique?

If you have music production and audio gold and platinum secrets to share, then by all means, we (the collective production world) are definitely waiting for you. But there is already sooooo much information out there, and sooooo many opinions, that I think it's somewhat confusing for those just getting started, and maybe there isn't as much need for another "This is how to use Sylenth," or "This is what a compressor does" tutorial.

I'm not sure what your expertise and forte are, but I know a lot of people would be interested in topics that would help them actually generate paying work, so proven business strategies, marketing, and things like that will always do well. As I'm always telling folks-- "After 30+ years of doing this stuff, I don't need to build resume. I need a check that doesn't bounce!" So if you have any really successful ideas regarding business models, tapping into new clientele, etc., etc., that would be a no-brainer.

If you want to interview/discuss, PM me and we can figure-out when something like that might happen.

GJ

Hey GJ,

Thanks for the response! I'll go through each question in turn:

"It goes back to what I was discussing with you awhile back, Will-- What are _your_ areas of expertise, and what do you feel that you bring to the table that might be unique?"
- My focussed area of expertise is really in producing house music (although I have produced other styles of EDM, too, this is where I have chosen to focus. Many of the techniques are transferrable to other genres). Also, remixing. In terms of uniqueness, pretty much the same as any of our uniqueness when it comes to music. The fact that there is a lot of music out there doesn't stop us producing, nor should it stop me from creating educational content (as we all have our unique voice that will resonate with some people but not with others).

- In terms of gold and platinum secrets, I certainly don't have the expertise of many people, but I've managed to forge a side business in music production, worked with some amazing singers, and have DJed around the world in some top clubs, so feel I have some experience that will appeal to some people (although probably not seasoned pros). I agree that the "how to use" such and such is already well, well covered, but I might be able to improve upon others' lessons (some are quite long, or the video narrator mumbles, etc.). I'm wondering if the workflow / mindset / time management of production might be more use, though? You're ideas about marketing / business models could be a really good angle, as, yeah...that's a constant concern for all of us!

Will PM you, and thanks again for your help and advice!

You cant teach Inspiration, consciousness and pleasure ;) But serious.... what your asking you might consider opening a poll to get a range of what most people want overall and go from there

Back