Please help me with fl studio 12

cadoip

after a year of using fl studio 12 i just noticed my samples=drums are very low volume than original say i download a drum pack and listen to a snare with windows media player it sounds loud and clear but in fl studio it sounds quiet this really affects my beat making process also when i load the same snare into edison its sounds loud and clear but when i listen to it in piano roll or channel rack its low

ive also noticed if i just have a basic high hat pattern nothing else its low playback from original sample like above but when i add a snare it makes it even quieter

side note i rather have the first question answered but if u know the second one then please reply

:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

i can upload a youtube video of my problem but since im new to these forums i dont know the rules so if u need a link let me know if thats aloud

compressors are not for volume. mix everything at a low level. gain stage all your tracks to about -6dB and just turn your monitors up. You will raise the volume later in the mastering stage. Watch tutorials on youtube.

compression does not make a sound louder, it reduces dynamic range. Make up gain raises not the process of compressing. In certain instances you can do something called parallel compression where you duplicate the signal and apply make up gain. If that is what you were referring to..well, my bad. But I did not get that impression.

ok i just loaded a kick in the piano roll and it says its at -9db on the master but when i load it in edision it says -3 thats alot louder

ive gotten alot of tips and replys from u guys wow thanks great website here

here is that video just to show u guys whats going on

www .youtube . co m/watch?v=Xcf_ivqhvcU

ALSO i use the fl studio asio and i only have basic av42 studio monitors its just aux monitors

Last edited:
Quick tips.
F1 button is universal for daws.
Keep faders high or use makeup gain.
Audio drivers & devices don't share the same volume.
Interfaces are separate from REALTEK/WDM in the motherboard but can still use those drivers if you still want to for some reason.

About your hi hat problem, this is probably a masking effect. That happens when you have two sounds playing on the same frequency range (ie. Hi hats and snares) that results in one instrument dominating the other, in your case it would be the snare dominating the hats. It usually depends on the sample and what frequency range it occupies, and the only way around it would be using EQ to cut on the unnecessary mid range of the hats to leave more room for the snares to breath. To do that send your samples to a mixer channel and open up "Fruity parametric equalizer 2" and apply a high pass filter (cut all unnecessary frequencies on the left side of the spectrum). Hope this helps, good luck!

In this case, I would suggest you try the compression method mentioned above, can't think of other ways around this issue, I usually just use another sample if I get myself in this situation all together.

Back