Mixing an EDM song with no recorded Audio

SimonT

Hi All!

I have almost finished a dance track. It has an organ, a piano, a bass, strings, drums (kick, snare, open hi-hat, clap & crash), a white noise woosh & 3 vocal samples.

The whole track sounds pretty sweet as far as dynamics goes.

I was wondering if people would here add any eq or compression to anything. I mean, everythings a preset and done in the box. No audio recorded externally.

Just a thought 'cause nothing springs to mind. Apart from maybe notch eq'ing the 3 vocal samples. They sound pretty clean but you never know. There might be something to cut out in them.

Next if nothing needs doing would be to bounce it down and master it.

What's peoples thoughts here?

Last edited:
If you like the way it sounds now and every element sounds distinct and comes through clearly, don't do anything.

You might consider sacrificing some unimportant parts of some elements to make the other elements come through more clearly/or for loudness.

The classic example is to use some subtle sidechaining between the kick and bass, because you don't need to hear the bass when the kick hits.
Other things I might consider unnecessary are the low end on the organ/piano/white noise (if there is any and assuming the bass is covering those areas when those sounds are playing) or sidechaining the vocal a little to some mid-range sounds if it's more important than them.

Above all, don't over-do it, it's easy to make things sound worse

Back