Intro to synths?

EliteRezk

Ok just a quick question, ive been playing around with some synths but i alot of the stuff is alot more complex what would you guys recommand as a great starter synth VST? good way to learn the different sounds easily and stuff :) thankyou!

Massive. It has a truckload of very usable yet editable presets.
I don't tend to use soft synths too often but always happy I have Massive.

Some daws have synthesizers that are very specific then some daws have stock synths that can cover most things.
Studio one's getting there with maitai but eh, reason imo lol. mojito has a special purpose though.

But since most daws synths vary I'll suggest vsts.

Zebra/lette
Tyrell
Reaktor
Tal synth
Built in synths
Harmor
Csound
Usine hollyhock
Pure data
Synthedit.
Massive
Omnisphere
Z3ta
Diva

Examples. Learning the basics of each type of synthesis:

Wavetable
granular
subtractive
additive
FM[confusing still stuck on how that works]
Phase Mod[similar]
Vector

And then just using the preferred methods after learning each.

Most of the stock synths offered by whatever DAW you are using are simple enough to get into synthesis. For external VSTs, I'd recommend Massive, Sylenth1, Absynth, Razor (Reaktor) and perhaps Serum.

thanks for the suggestions! I am definitely trying to invest in a synth some time soon so I will keep all of this mind mind!

For free and very good results you could start Synth1. You could learn the basics in this free monster. It is subractive virtual synth which means that is pretty easy for begginers.It contains osc's, lfo's, some types of essential filters, unison and some effects. I suggest it without hesitation. It was my first virual instrument and learned a lot of things with that. Plus that there are a lot of free preset packs around the net. Hope I have helped...

I'm really in love with Synth1........

Last edited:
If you are still wondering about feedback. I would recommend any beginner to learn one synthesizer and it's parts first before moving on. I know at least 10 people that use various plugin synths that don't know wtf theyre doing beyond presets, the numbers probably exponentially multiply when I listen on the internet. I personally think it's good to have a foundation of knowledge of "what does what" on a synth before checking out any others. The basic parts can be learned easily these days on youtube tutorials. There will be varying techniques and applications to different synth types, but if you research it a bit, most of the parts will become apparent to you with practice.

Serum! Such a great plugin. Pretty much a more polished version of Massive. Tons of video tutorials being released for the synth on YouTube as well.

If I were just getting into synthesis and looking for a good synth (knowing what I know now) I'd take some time to learn synth fundamentals first (watch YouTube) and then start shopping.

Once you learn the fundamentals you'll find that most modern/decent synths are capable of the exact same things and truly shine when you learn how to program your own stuff..

$.02

Stock synths if you're just starting out. There's a billion different VSTi's... Some are free, some cost money. It's just endless. If you just wanna learn, I'd say just learn with the stock synths that come with your DAW and go find some tutorials to understand why they work the way they do.

Back