I need some help mixing vocals. Is this the place to ask that?

LeviiWhite

So I had two artists come over about 3 days ago to record a song, now the beat that they used was pulled off of YouTube and sent to me. I know I know, already it makes it difficult and on top of that the two voices (A boy & girl) are extremely different, I'm talking massively the girl has a very strong singing voice something like Adele and the guy has a pretty heavy bass voice similar to Wiz but much deeper. They recorded just a few parts of the song and I am supposed to mix them but the issue is, is that I have only ever edited my own voice and I have never mixed a Youtube beat how do I go about doing this? If you guys have any answers please let me know because as of right now I am stuck. I checked youtube and other forums about completing this task but to me they just don't sound right, if it helps I am recording with a RODE NT1-A linked to a Scarlett FocusRite 2i2 and this was all done through FL Studio 12. Thank you!
- Levi​

try referencing a track that has a style your trying to emulate. don't be intimidated by the voice, think of it as any other instrument.. EQ and COMPRESSION will make a difference between a good and a bad vocal, but then again the beat is baked into a .wav or .mp3 so it'll be difficult because you don't have access to the stems. are you working with both male and female voices combined together?

it will be hard because the instrumental has already been compressed a few times and there more than likely isn't going to be a lot of space, if any, for vocals. And the beat was probably stolen. You shouldn't encourage that. Tell them to purchase the trackouts.

Back