How old were you when you got into producing?

Actual "producing," like being in a commercial studio on the control room side of the glass, with the band or musical talent on the other? Probably 23, something like that. Playing with sounds from instruments, synths, etc. from childhood; using reel-to-reel tape-- 17.

GJ

Started recording when I was 14. Got my first DAW (besides Audacity at 16) but didn't really dive too deep into it. Mainly used it to record simple stuff and then it has all snowballed for nine years until where it's at today where I'm way to deep into it with analogue modelling plugins, warping modes convolution reverbs. Hah.

I was 15 when I first had access to (or even saw first hand) drum machines, keyboards and a 4 track tape recorder that I watched a dope mc friend of mine use. When he wasn't around I would sneak in some use and learned how to sequence drums and edit patches on a keyboard/synth. Also learned how to use a turntable to sample, how to use a mixer and how to overdub, using hardware. It's probably an insignificant concept nowadays with DAW's, but when I first learned and heard multitrack recording, it kinda blew my mind.

I started about 13 thanks to my cousin!!! He was 23 back then. He was al ready making good stuff!!!! haaaa good memories!

18, bought my first DAW. FL studios producer edition with my paycheck from Gamestop. Must have been the year 2008. dayumm xD

Jack around making corny beats at about 16 but never put in the time or effort and stopped shortly after bootlegging FL. Now I'm 32 picked this thing back up and really focused about 6 months in, jealous of you young ones

Last edited:
Started at 14, with FL Studio 6 i think, now i am 30. At 28 i switched to logic and then ableton. I kept studying, i still suck ahah.

Last edited:
Download reason (pirate) at age of 14, didnt know how to use it so was just messing around with knobs and effects.
Deleted it at 15, and now i got a legit copy of FL at age 16 and now still producing at 20

I discovered Cubase SX3 at the age of 9. Then, at 14 years old, I started with Reason.
That's when I started taking music production really seriously. Never looked back since then.
Now I'm 23 years old and I think Reason is the best software ever. :)

Back