How do you tune synths to be in sync?

Jonathan Ryan

Hi,

I ran into an issue in my track,

The synths in my track are made in different plug ins (Serum, Synthmaster, Spire) and the melody in one (Spire) sounds out with the chords in another (Serum). I have imported a .tun file into Serum to tune all of those synths to 432 hz and it sounds great. The problem is that spire runs on .scl files and the 432 hz .scl file i imported does not sound the same as the 432 hz .tun file in Serum. Basically they run on different internal tunings and I have not been able to match them.

Things I tried:

I tried scrolling the settings for the A tuning in each (432-450), I tried putting a frequency shifter on the melody but then it knocks the rest of the notes in the melody out of sync, I also tried a chorus to blend it but then it sounds like i am avoiding the real problem which is an out of tune lead... , I also tried recreating the lead in serum and placing the same .tun file in the new one but it is still out? At this point I am very confused and frustrated.

Any suggestions on how I can get the Spire lead in tune with the Serum chords?

if i'm interpreting this correctly, you could see what the root note of the main synth is then adjust the pitch on the other synths oscillators accordingly until it is in tune with the lead? (or the other way around)

or resample separately, then pitch it correctly with warp so that the timing isnt off?

not sure how else to say it, but these are two ways that i would approach it.

I use Parsec, thor & subtractor but I think it would apply to you too.
Just sync the oscs and tune them ti be in regular pitch [If you understand me I mean keep the tune knob at 0 or center]

My ears can't tell if this is right now but I tried tuning the root in each and I think it sounds in now. I have too much going on to tell even when it is soloed it is weird sounding. Definitely a lesson to check everything first in the mix before moving on to more layers and instruments. Thank you for the help

Since both those scale/tuning files are really just text documents, you can naturally open them up and verify that the values are actually the same for both (and adjust accordingly if needed).

Back