Do you ever get embarrassed to tell people what you produce with? [FL STUDIO]

Magical_

I'm curious about how producers feel about the term "industry standard" and how it shapes our perception of a software and the confidence we have both socially and emotionally. How confident are you with your DAW software (especially social confidence) , and if it's not "industry standard" ie: Avids Pro Tools, are you still comfortable talking about it in a professional conversation / environment?

Never worry. Every top producer in the biz uses all daw.. FL is. Rey popular. Logic. Cubans. Abletom. They are all just as good. That protocols be mattered 10 years ago only because computers could not keep up. Now every program is professional.

You should feel ashamed to use Fruity Loops like I felt ashamed to use cheap second hand gear like the TR-808....that is to say not at all.

It really shouldn't matter.

A banger is a banger.

Who cares what you made it with.

-Traxx

I don't think there's an Industry Standard when it comes to 'whatever you make music with'.
Usually that's a free-for-all and nobody cares.

What you use to mix and master RECORDS with- that's a different story.
The brain behind your studio is important.

What you noodle around with- isn't.
FL and Garageband have the reputation (and deservedly so) of being beginners software.
I don't mean, cheap, limited or shallow. I mean Something that's easy to get started with.

So if someone says "I want to get started making music- and I don't have a lot of experience...what should I get?"
You don't say Ableton Live or Logic or....or......
You name something simple and immediate that they can grow with over time.

You should feel ashamed to use Fruity Loops like I felt ashamed to use cheap second hand gear like the TR-808....that is to say not at all.

If you were using a TR-808 when it first came out and was looked down upon then yeah, you'd be making some kind of vanguard statement. If you're using after it became popular- then no, using one says nothing but the OPPOSITE of this thread. You're using something that IS (creatively + Sonic-ally) a producer's "industry standard".

And a hardware drum machine and your DAW are widely unrelated. The only spirit would be to name some kind of beginners drum machine that makes it (too?) easy to make beats on. I have no idea what that would be.

The embarrassment is the notion that you're supposed to be an advanced "creative" and you're still using or using beginner stuff.
The guitarist using the $99 dollar guitar. The orchestra cat using student versions of their instruments.

You're supposed to grow out of that stage eventually.
As you mature, so should you set up- or at least the way you use it.

I use FL and im not embarrased. Fuck i use the demo lol but it works for what I use it for, and thats all that matters

Nope! I produced with many daws during these years. My first was FL Studio 9 so I am very attached with all Image Line brand. Then I learned to use many other softwares, due to collabs with friends and other people. My main daw at the moment are Live 9, Reaper and Logic Pro X. Also I use sometimes Maschine 2 to compose beats cause I feel it very comfortable thank's to my Maschine Studio.

Reminds me of peoplewho always say FL studio renderings sound inferior to other daws but they never recognize FL productionswhen they don't know.

Use what works for you!

The feeling of embarrassment is normal but when it comes to music production, it shows lack of self-confidence and for me that's a kind of weak. As long as you are confident to what you produce with then there is nothing to feel that way unless you got like a shit. If you are not comfortable with your DAW, you should have killed that thing at the very first place.

No never. I tell everyone that I know that I use Fl Studio for beats and Pro Tools for vocals. All DAW's sound the same to me. You can make a good song on any DAW. Some DAW's are easier to use though.

FL and protools...popular combo. What makes pro tools so special in vocal recording production? is it the hotkeys? better mixer operation ? smoothness? UI ?

A lot of big names use FL. Who cares, the fans never hear what program you use. They hear your music. FL does everything another program does, minus the live mixing ("DJ mixing") capabilities found in, say, ableton... I haven't found a good way to create live shows using FL studio. For production though, it's the same. It can record just as well as pro tools. It can mix and master just as well too.

It's not the program, it's the user. If you know how to use FL studio inside and out you can make some quality work.

Last edited:
Don't let anybody tell you daw ain't shit, they are all the same just some go about doing things in ways that are different but in the end they all get the job done and like Epsilon said your listener won't know what you used unless you told em anyway... What you should focus on is thinking how your listeners are going to perceive your music... That's important... Take em on a ride...

I'm more embarrassed about the actual music I make. Lol
Every daw is complicated as heck at first, so to even know what you're doing in one is pretty freakin amazing in itself.

Back