Do you ever get embarrassed to tell people what you produce with? [FL STUDIO]

As far as I'm aware, FL used to be really bad for production but has become a proper DAW recently.

Protools is going down the sh**er IMO. Being 'industry standard' for so long has made it's developers complacent and now it's just a more expensive DAW that gets off on the reputation it used to have when there were no other serious DAWs

Last edited:
Some OG dudes say fl studio started off as just a sequencer addon for acid until version 8 came out.
9xxl & mixcraft is where I got my start in this hobby.

Then moved to other daws.
Doesn't matter what you use, but this has been discussed enough.

Never!! My music is a symbol of who I am as an individual. If people can't deal with that, I have no interest in interacting with them :wink:

No never fruityloops is not easy to use and gave me headaches when i fist started anyone who says its easy put em in front of computer with fl and see what happens i seen plenty of wannabes walk away fustraded

Once upon a time, I could spot a Reason- / FL-produced track a mile off. Now, not so much.

Both those softwares have come on in leaps and bounds, Reason in terms of sound quality, and FL in terms of features. There are many succesful producers who use those two, and imo no-one should feel 'ashamed' of their DAW, especially while you're in the learning & growing phase.

If you're reading this and a newish (or even moderately advanced) FL user, and your tracks sound mushy... or they don't 'sound like when I was playing them' when they render...

GAIN STAGING. Look around your DAW and look at how many volume controls there are. It's been a while since I used FL, but from memory... a vol on the main arrangement window... a vol on each sample... multiple additional vol controls in the step sequencer... vol faders on the mixer... additional vol controls on most vsts... considering each one is a potential clip, you can see how people easily mess up the gain staging. Make sure nothing is clipping all the way through all the stages (unless you're writing hardstyle and want it to clip :D). Secondly, unless they've changed it, as well as a quality setting for the renders, you have one for the live mix engine. If you render at the highest setting but listen at 6-point hermite, it's going to sound different when you bounce stuff to audio. Likewise, if you're bouncing down to audio to save cpu / achieve processing techniques, and you're doing it at 6-point hermite, you may as well be bouncing to mp3.

I use Cubase now, but lots of my friends use FL... anyone who belittles your DAW isn't worth your time.

I wouldn't say I am embarrassed, but thats probably because I consider myself a beginner. Another thing I keep in mind is when you listen to a lot of producers they say "you don't need the most expensive gear to make a hit." in fact Deadmau5 always mentions how anyone can make the worlds greatest hit on a laptop. I think the name of FL is a little silly.. but it works and there are still big producers who havent switched to ableton or something else yet.

No. I use Fl Studio.
It does not really matter what You use as long it is comfortable and the workflow suits You.

I have seen drummers with like 2k set playing like crap, at the same time drummer with 5 dollar buckets playing like a baws.

KonKossKang;50045201[B said:
]Some OG dudes say fl studio started off as just a sequencer addon for acid until version 8 came out.[/B]
9xxl & mixcraft is where I got my start in this hobby.

Then moved to other daws.
Doesn't matter what you use, but this has been discussed enough.

I know this is an old post but... sheesh... This ranks right up there with "you can't get her pregnant the first time...".

FL was never an "add-on" for Acid... especially since FL came out BEFORE Acid.

Don't know too much bout fl studio besides it's workflow and tools.
Been on Reason for years and ableton for a bit tho. Next thing I might mess with next is max for live.

The only thing i get imbarassed for is the fact that FL STUDIO is not available on mac so i started switching to ableton, which i find to be awesome.
I have to say though that Logic Pro, for example, compared to FL STUDIO (some versions ago, like 11) sounded way more crystalline. Also, they give you tons of nice "real" instruments (like violins and stuff) that fl studio don't provide unless you use super expensive plugins.

Last edited:
I use Ableton, and I'm practicing with avid now but I'm more then confident to talk to any producer using pro tools or FL etc.

Back