Thread: Can someone help me please

Thanks

Can someone help me please

Sign in to disable this ad
    hi i need help in fl studio 12 i can make a dope beat drums 808 etc and a dope melody but thats it i dont know what else i can add to my beats every beat i try to make is a simple 8 bar loop with a melody and drums thats it i dont know what else to add i try to add chords and stuff but it just sounds bad i even see people add another melody underneath the main melody how can i do that please help

Thanks
    You need to play the notes in your melodies from only one key signature at a time (scale of 8 notes). Write your first melody using notes from the 8 you choose. Now, if you make a 2nd melody (or a bassline), use notes from the same scale. This new melody or bassline will fit with the other melodies in your song. If you're playing notes that aren't from those 8 notes in the key (or scale), it'll sound bad when you have 2 or more melodies. You can't just pick notes and pray they will fit together. It'll be a disaster.

This is something that's a little advanced because only composers, and professional musicians, "write music". Now with this new wave of producers, they understand the technical things, but don't get the higher levels of music theory. The song has good sound quality and effects but it doesn't have any emotion. Like I often say, it sounds like a 4 year old got ahold of a lawn mower. The result is a song thats not very "musical". it's just emotionless noise.

As for the other question, just keep adding details. I know it's tempting to think the song is finished, but take a break and come back to add the details to it. Sometimes a sound or an effect will only take place one time in your entire song. If you have a really cool sound or nice sounding note, don't overuse it! keep it special and only use it once. Your songs don't have to be symmetrical. I know hip hop is extremely repetitive, but don't do it. Make the song change all the way through. It'll be a lot better.
    Last edited by Epsilon-144; 04-16-2017 at 05:31 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    There's really no other way than by improving your musical vocabulary.
    Get out of FL and work on learning some Music Theory and songwriting techniques (composition)

For example, learn scales, triads, and chord progressions.
    Those few things will help you immensely.

Good Luck.

Thanks
    ^ ya, exactly. You have to spend time learning an instrument and learning the production software. You'll get better at both, and before you know it you'll be playing AND recording in a real studio, and be able to do anything you want (a musicians dream). haha
    Last edited by Epsilon-144; 04-16-2017 at 05:37 AM.

Thanks
    Just like everyone said before me. You really need to have a solid understanding of music theory, key signatures, Chord progressions, Building major triads and so on and so forth. Its really a pain in the ass to learn all of that tbh haha but if you want to exceed in making melodies, harmonies, key changes ect. then you neeed to start at the basics. Also If you have any questions just send me a DM and I can send you to some sights that help with that. (Im a classical pianist).

Thread Information